The Way It Ends - Video Game EP

Mar 24, 2003
www.prototypeonline.com
Did you know that the version of “The Way It Ends” that appeared on the Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock video game was a different mix than the album version? For those of you that have noticed a difference in the mixes and want the version that appeared in the game, we’ve put together a new release just for you. This EP, “The Way It Ends – Video Game EP”, features 4 tracks with unique song mixes previously available only on the video games they were featured in. The EP is now available exclusively at our Bandcamp site for just $4. Go there and check it out now: prototypeonline.bandcamp.com

Enjoy!

This is pretty cool. I might check it out.

BTW, since it's somewhat related, I was wondering if you could maybe help me with a bit of a confusing memory I have regarding hearing a song of yours in a video-game (it was actually the first time I ever heard of you guys! :))

The first song I ever heard of yours was Synthespian, and it was indeed on a Tony Hawk game, but not Downhill Jam. It was on Tony Hawk's Underground (the first one). That was the only Tony Hawk game I ever played/owned, and I distinctly remembered it due to the awesome, fast-paced rhythm and the "control I sustaaaaaaiiinn!" part of the second verse. I remember it always randomly played in the second level of that game (New York City), and often times when playing through the game again, I would always stay a little while longer in that level each time just to hear the song again. :kickass:

When I bought Continuum several years later, I instantly recognized it. Eventually, about a year ago, I went looking through some Youtube videos of game footage just for old-times sake, to hear it in there, but suprisingly could not find it. In fact, it did not show up at all in the game's official track listing. I know for a fact that was the game in question, because I've never played Downhill Jam (or any other Tony Hawk game) before in my life.

I'm definitely not crazy, but it seems so strange to me. Is there some reason for this? Like say, the developers used the song without permission and it had to be pulled from later releases? And also, that game came out in 2003, but it was definitely either the studio version or the mix you just released on this, not the demo. :guh:

Anything you could say on this matter? It's been driving me up the wall for a while now.

Hey Unholy,

The only Tony Hawk game that Prototype appeared in was Downhill Jam. I actually worked on Underground, Underground 2 and Downhill Jam when I worked for Activision so I'm positive that's the case. In fact, I came up with the original game design and was the Producer on Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam so I basically put my own song in the game. I even made the edit of "Synthespian" myself (which was necessary to remove the samples that are at the end of the song). :)

There was also a demo of Downhill Jam at one point and the song may have been on the demo as well. Hope that info helps!

Cheers!

See, that's so weird, because I do remember it, and it was the studio version where the song fades out with that final riff with the samples. And when you open the start menu and it shows the name of the song and artist, I do recall seeing Prototype under artist and the name (of course, at the time I didn't know quite how to pronounce "Synthespian").

I don't know, maybe I'm crazy. :lol:

Either way, back then was when I first heard of you guys.