the words no guitarist wants to hear from their teacher

anacrucix

aka Shredcaptain Matt
Jan 22, 2007
United Kingdom
"So, now all your exams are out the way; you hold the plectrum wrong."

I hold my plectrum at a slight angle, and doing so i can pick at about 20 notes per second in short bursts, however my teacher says that your plectrum should be parallel to the string and perpendicular to the body of the guitar when alternate picking. I also use too much elbow when i play, i should be playing entirely with my wrist. I have to completely relearn to pick.

gay.

actually, you're supposed to have an angle when you speed pick, it's not supposed to be parallel to the string. even Paul Gilbert will tell you that:

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no right and wrong when it comes to picking. Eventhough most people tend to pick like paul gilbert (open or closed hand, but with an angle on the pic) there are others who pick differently. MAB anchors 3 fingers, Chris Impelliterri picks with his elbow and some people holds the pick with 3 fingers. So if you can play with it then by all means keep it that way.

On the other hand, if you're experiencing difficulties you could try other ways of picking.

I'll have to argue against doing it the way you want to. Look at Paul Gilbert - he completely relearned a pick grip after seeing Yngwie play. Working out picking problems can broaden your abilities, technique, and accuracy.

The way you hold a pick isn't something that is set in stone, and if your teacher is a good one he should realize that. There are pros and cons to holding a pick certain ways for certain techniques but in the end it comes down to taste.

As far as picking from the elbow goes, while it works for some people, it simply isn't as efficient as picking from the wrist and it's a lot more common for injury to occur with that picking style than with a wrist motion. Personally, I'd reccomend trying to rework that into a wrist motion, but if it works for you then go for it.

Working out picking problems can broaden your abilities, technique, and accuracy.

Best thing I think I've read on this forum so far. I've been telling people that for years. Their are many more things when learning to play guitar than just theory... there are tons of technical problems that can occur. Its always best to do what feels right.. but sometimes people dont even know what feels right.. just pointing them in the right direction , whether it be holding the pick wrong, attacking the strings wrong..muting to far up the bridge causing unwanted noise, dragging the palm or heel on the fingering hand.. tons of things I could go on and on.

Working on the technical side of things can really improve your playing. Being concious of what your doing until it becomes second nature.