Theatre of Tragedy - Assembly

Medion

Dec 7, 2001
Austria
Visit site
I wonder what you think about the new TOT-release. In my opinion since "Musique" Theatre of Tragedy have become a fantastic and unique Rock(?)-Act. Although they have been leaders of the GothicMetal-Scene in the past the new style simple suits them much better. The only thing I dislike are the "Pseudo-Metal" guitars as it seems as they still force themselves not to fully give up the metal-scene (commercial thoughts?). Furthermore they should hide their Madonna-influences a bit better ;-)

Fact is that ToT have nothing much to do any more with their "old" style.
In my eyes, this is a band which has moved and developed very far if not to say "drastically". I could imagine a lot of the old fans not liking their new stuff for it got very electronic (which moved them deeper into the pure "Goth" style?!) and the guitars have almost disappeared.... Sometimes their sound strikes me as slightly "plastic" - especially due to Liv's pretty "thin & airy" pop-vocals that I understand must appeal to the male listener more though! ;)

I still quite like the album for what it is (still way way better than this "ich liebe dich - hahahaha" crap!) and will certainly enjoy the upcoming live-gig since the material from both last albums is just *great* to dance to! Yes, headbanging still possible, too.

Madonna-influences?! hehehehahahaha.... maybe, maybe! Personally, I more like thought of "Blondie" to be Liv's big idol?!