Therion discussion

Sengir*Buendia

Baron of Macondo
Weird, I've been a part of this forum for a long time and don't remember having EVER heard any comments on the amazing band Therion.
They've been in my metal pantheon for a long time, alternating 1st place with Opeth, ToT and Arcturus. What I'd like to know is if most Opeth fans are also Therion fans and what are your impressions about the band, best album, best style, etc. IMO, no other band even approaches in the symphonic metal genre, Christofer Johnsson is a musical god, just as Akerfeldt.
Album Secret of the Runes amazes me everytime, even tho I've played it about 1000 times. I'm a fanatic for classical music, prog rock and heavy metal, and Therion makes a perfect fusion between those.
Can't wait for their next album!!!!!!!!! Look what Chris says about it:

"We are finally starting with the pre-production of the next Therion album! I won't give you any name for the album, lyrical ideas or how it will sound... at least not yet! But what I WILL tell you is that we have an absolutely INSANE amount of songs written and that what we will be doing the upcoming months will be to actually figure out what songs should be on the record. AND: we will (for the first time since the recording of Theli) actaully rehearse (!!) together as a band before we enter the studio. The plan is to start recording drums in March. How long the recording will take is always impossible to say...
The plan is that we should have a finnished recording this summer and a release this autumn.
We promise to take the band one step further in the progression with this album, so be prepared!"

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For a while, I really got into Therion. I picked up "Vovin" and absolutely loved it! Next, I got "Theli" and found the music to be even better, with the exception of Chris' AWFUL Pantera-style vocals.

However, over the years, I've lost interest, really. His songs just tend to be "metal by numbers" musically. I'll still listen to them from time to time, but have no desire to pick up "Runes" or anything new.

SoundMaster said:
For a while, I really got into Therion. I picked up "Vovin" and absolutely loved it! Next, I got "Theli" and found the music to be even better, with the exception of Chris' AWFUL Pantera-style vocals.

However, over the years, I've lost interest, really. His songs just tend to be "metal by numbers" musically. I'll still listen to them from time to time, but have no desire to pick up "Runes" or anything new.

I have that same feeling ... my fav Therion moments from what i have heard are Into Rememberance and Black Fairy from araq zaraq ... Dan Swano's singing is sooo passionate there

Therion rules! Therion was one of the first metallic sounding bands I actually got into and just because of that, they hold a very important place in my little metal heart! ;) Vovin is my 3rd favourite album of all time, after Brave Murder Day and Morningrise...

I am a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE Therion fan and own every cd. I like both versions of Therion (old and new), but I am simply friggin' AMAZED by the new stuff. I agree with everything Sengir says. Secret of the Runes is killer. Ginungagap is EASILY my favourite song. My dad loves this band too. I have the new live cd and HIGHLY recommend it!

Have all the albums :devil:
Ok excpet live at midgard, and 'special' albums made for the fans in the fan area of their site.

I really dont understand all that fuss about the 'new' and 'old' therion. I like Theli, but i find SOTR just as good if not better.