Therion

Rusty

A-HAHAHA!
Sep 14, 2001
Nottingham
Does anyone here like Therion? I heard a couple of songs from a comilation album, and they sounded quite good. What album should I buy?

I'd say that after "Theli" and "Vovin", "Deggial" was not as much of a surprise as "Secret Of The Runes" is.
I don't know any of their pre-Theli stuff (except the Beauty In Black single), but if I'm not mistaken Therion started out as more or less a typical death metal band in the early nineties.

I don't really have a favorite Therion album, so check out any one of those I mentioned.

Theli seems to be their most aggressive which I like the best. Secret of Runes is 2nd best with Volvin and Deggial real close. I think that any of these discs would be a good choice.

I was slightly disappointed in Secret Of The Runes, but it is still a very good album nonetheless, and Muspelheim and Ginnungagap are definitely among their best songs to date, and the presentation of the concept is excellent. If anything, my opinion on SOTR says more about how great Theli, Vovin, and Deggial are.

Originally posted by rustymetal
Does anyone here like Therion? I heard a couple of songs from a comilation album, and they sounded quite good. What album should I buy?

Ah! Therion...!!!! :eek:))
I haven't listened much to their albums,
but I bought their latest one, and then
went to see them live last December.
They were awesome!!! :eek:))
A really posititve experience, as I didn't
have too high expectations.

Dunno about any cheese scales (Cheddar?), but I must say I like Theli the most - it was their break-through from the masses of unknown bands and both Vovin and Deggial are only refinements of the approach they found at that time. Secret of the Runes is otherwise little different from the old, but it is a more polished concept-album than any of the previous ones; and it discards those Egyptian/Oriental traces and replaces them with Scandinavian mythology.

Of their pre-Theli era, "Lepaca Kliffoth" (it was re-released back in '96 I think) is a great, although rather obscure, musical experience. Check songs like "Melez" and the aforementioned "Beauty in Black".

-Villain

As an introduction to Therion I'd recommend The Crowning of Atlantis, it haven't been mentioned at all here and I'm not sayin it's their best. Just get sure to get the version with the 3 live-songs from earlier albums!

Best regards

Originally posted by Satori

Are they really proggy or just sorta proggy? On the cheese scale from 1 to 10, what would you rate them?

Satori

They're not really that proggy, just innovative. Using full choirs, a lot of orchestral stuff etc.

Atheist, Death, Therion, damnit do we have to explain everything to you on this forum ;)

Deggial is probably my fave, apart from that 'Carmina Burana' cover. eew. yuk.

Therion....I know nothing about them excpet that Dan Swano did something with at least one of their albums, that true? I will start by listening to that album. Anyone know which one? Maybe I should post this on Dan's board.....man that's gonna be a lot of work tho......<grin>

Apparently there are no pre-Theli Therion fans on this board. I've never seen them play live so I don't know if they still play their
old stuff (from Symphony Masses and such) but if they do, you
might be in for a surprise (an unpleasant one I guess, if you're expecting choral vocals and the like).