THESE ARE THEY - DISPOSING OF BETRAYERS

Apr 24, 2002
Chicago, Illinois
www.novembersdoom.com
TAT_DOB_Cover72.jpg

AVAILABLE SEPTEMBER 14th, 2010

Chicago's THESE ARE THEY will release its sophomore full-length album, "Disposing Of Betrayers", on September 14 on Unruly Sounds/The End Records. The CD was recorded at Belle City Sound in Racine, Wisconsin with producer Chris Wisco (MICHAEL ANGELO BATIO, DIRGE WITHIN, JUNGLE ROT) and mixed and mastered by Dan Swanö (HAIL OF BULLETS, EDGE OF SANITY, NIGHTINGALE) at Unisound in Örebro, Sweden.

The five-piece band began writing "Disposing Of Betrayers" soon after the 2009 release of the band's debut album, "Who Linger". THESE ARE THEY has increased speed, aggression, and power to create perhaps the strongest death metal release to come from the city of Chicago in years. Combining the classic style, with new elements and modern ideas, "Disposing Of Betrayers" is sure to impress even the most stubborn of death metal fans.

THESE ARE THEY pays tribute to death metal pioneers (and fellow Chicagoans) DEVASTATION with a cover of their classic track "Cranial Hemorrhage". Making this even more special, THESE ARE THEY invited original guitarist Erv Brautigam and vocalist Duane Rasmussen to join them on the recording. Erv created a blazing solo for the song (which was not part of the original track) and Duane lent his vocal talent, which became the first time key members of DEVASTATION have "reunited" in over 20 years.

Keeping with their Chicago pride, THESE ARE THEY has taken on Chicago's history rich with organized crime. The lyrics throughout "Disposing Of Betrayers" re-imagine events — all taken from factual newspaper articles — which still resonate throughout the city today. Some based in fact, some in fiction, but all for the fascination in the history of Chicago's lore.

"The process of writing this CD was quite unique," said vocalist Paul Kuhr. "We knew exactly where we needed to go musically. The lyrical subject matter had to be approached more carefully. Taking a topic like Chicago crime history, and still making it a death metal record, posed more of a challenge for Steve and me, who wrote all the lyrics. I think the crushing production, aggressive riffing and drumming, and the interesting topic all came together to create what I feel is an amazing recording. I'm quite proud of this one."

Guitarist Steve Nicholson added, "Growing up on the streets of Chicago, its 'underworld' was always present. The streets were tough. Shady characters were a part of life, and you knew who was friend or foe. The dangerous subject of this collection had to be approached with tact. Along with the brutal deliverance of the music, we feel the final result will 'massacre' the metal listener."

THESE ARE THEY is:

Paul Kuhr - Vocals
Stephen Nicholson - Rhythm and Lead Guitar
Justin Jurgevich - Rhythm Guitar
Wiley Wells - Bass Guitar
Sasha Horn - Drums

"Disposing Of Betrayers" track listing:

01. The Massacre
02. Behind The Door
03. The Sins Of My Brothers
04. No Angels To Catch You
05. By Phaeton's Design
06. Cranial Hemorrhage
07. La Mano Nera
08. Evening Widows
09. Disposal Of Betrayers

Badass! I was just thinking about Chicago crime recently, as my wife & I have our family room/media room decorated with our favorite gangster movie posters (Scarface, The Godfather, etc.) I wanted to get some smaller posters of Chicago crime movies like The Untouchables for the hallway going into the room, but that won't happen until I get a job again.

I'm looking forward to hearing the new album. I've been meaning to grab the debut album to listen to while I'm doing some job searching at home. I'll have to toss it in my car for tomorrow's ride to a job interview.

Holy shit, this sounds ridiculously awesome. Organized crime has always interested, especially thanks to my Forensic Science class.

The band promo shots looking fucking badass. I was excited at for the new album just because it was TAT, but now it's on another level!

I got the album last week, thanks to The End's 15% off sale. I have to say that this one just destroys the debut. I think the riffs are better, the songs are better, and the sound of the album is massive.

I love the Chicago mob theme. I haven't had much time to really sit down and read the lyrics, but it will be fun to plug a few words into Google and research some of the songs to see the events that inspired them.

The artwork and booklet is incredible as well. I keep getting a little freaked with how realistic the pictures of the guy with the plastic around his head look.

The hard work has paid off - this album just smokes!

Well you guys broke in at number 3 on my humble top 10 of 2010 list. Sadly it would seem this release went rather unnoticed. Please tell me the sales numbers tell another story.