Thing-in-itself

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
Kant's idea of thing-in-itself, is of such importance, countless philosophers seem to have spent their careers criticizing or refining it. But what is this almost transcendent term that explained the relationship between noumenon and phenomenom?

speed said:
...why has it fallen out of favor?

Has it fallen out of favor?

I love and hate Kant.
-I love him for attempting (and, I think, successfully defining) thought itself.
-I hate him for creating a lexicon of defining terms that, in the end, keep me guessing as to his actual meaning.

Kant holds audience with gentlemen like Wittgenstein and Heidegger. He posits ideas that demand an understanding of the framework of thought itself.

I don't think modern philosophical thought has departed from this. Perhaps, Philosophy momentarily takes leave of these defining ideas while in pursuit of more tangible conclusions. In the end, though, I think it always comes back to this type of foundational thought.

ARC150 said:
Has it fallen out of favor?

I love and hate Kant.
-I love him for attempting (and, I think, successfully defining) thought itself.
-I hate him for creating a lexicon of defining terms that, in the end, keep me guessing as to his actual meaning.

Kant holds audience with gentlemen like Wittgenstein and Heidegger. He posits ideas that demand an understanding of the framework of thought itself.

I don't think modern philosophical thought has departed from this. Perhaps, Philosophy momentarily takes leave of these defining ideas while in pursuit of more tangible conclusions. In the end, though, I think it always comes back to this type of foundational thought.

Yes, well I was hoping we could have some discussion to define his actual meaning, as I too, am constantly guessing. And I was just positing that scientifically, the thing-in-itself, is not even mentioned; whereas in philosophy it seems to be of central importance.

In fact, I'm going to edit out the falling out of favor comment, so we focus only on the idea itself.

ARC150 said:
I love and hate Kant.

I love Kant, I just seem to disagree with him
nosweat.gif