Thinking about starting a rehearsal place...

AD Chaos

MGTOW
Aug 3, 2009
Been giving thought to the idea of starting up a rehearsal place of my own, now that the one I currently have my space in, will be closing in 3 months.

My idea would be to eventually set up a studio there too, but only later on, since having a studio doesn't seem very profitable around my area (unless you're very well connected into commercial audio).

It's still an idea for now, I have to run many numbers first (rent, services, initial treatment, etc) to see if it's even reasonably profitable.
The idea would be to set up 3 rooms, maybe starting out with just two.

Onto my question, which equipments do you usually find on rehearsal places, or which ones you would like to find in one? (for all kinds of genres, not just metal).

I'd like to put together an estimate with reasonably good stuff, but bearing in mind the gear won't be used as carefully (by the bands) as studio equipment handled personally by an AE.

Here's what I've thought of so far:
  • A couple of used recto heads (maybe others too, down the road).
  • A pair of OS cabs (probably new, to avoid too much problems or maintenance?)
  • Some basic Shure mics for vocals
  • A couple of small Allen & Heath consoles (on their own, or as part of some PA package, dunno how to go on that..)
  • Cheapo Tama drumsets, a double bass drum set for the main room, and single one for the other(s).
  • Maybe some sort of 'concealed' compressor :D as to have some control over noise limits?
No idea as to what to quote for a bass rig, cymbals, or the PA system (monitors).. Anything else you think would be missing?
Used or new, what would be best to get in each case?

Thanks much for all your opinions! :)

The studio I worked out of rented out rehearsal space and I have of course rented all sorts of rehearsal space. I don't think you will make money doing it, but it will help cover the rent for your recording studio down the road.

Anyway most full bands really just want an empty room they can be loud in. So be open to that and price accordingly. Hourly of course is trickier.

As far as backline, most bands will bring their own gear minus the PA. So go pretty good on that, but the rest is sort of meh since it will rarely get used.

Other place I have been have had like B52's, modelers (spiders and such), or something like that. Then just some cheap cabs that get the job done but you wouldn't cry about them getting damaged or stolen.

Drums usually were really crappy cymbals, and most drummers would bring their own.

I have thought a lot about expanding into it. You can get some quality stuff that will hold up just fine but I wouldn't go expensive since you will likely never see the return on investment.

Carvin and Peavey were by FAR the best deals and you can get everything minus drums. Their stuff is designed to sound decent enough, be versatile, louder than hell, reliable, and easy to repair. Talk to local music stores too. The profit margin on Peavey is pretty high, so even if they give you store cost in exchange for hanging a banner or something would help a TON. Remember the advertising opportunity, if musicians are using and liking the gear, then they are more likely to buy it.

I would probably go valveking half-stacks and some 1000 watt peavey bass rig. Same with the PA, self powered speakers or a all-in-one head unit with speakers. Get some 58's since they are bulletproof and mic cables with a lifetime warranty (ie. spectraflex or Monster). Get the cables locally, any store that sells those will do a swap no questions asked.

For drums, just get shells and then some cheap ass thrones, pedals, and cymbals. Encourage the drummers to bring their own pedals and cymbals. For cymbals, go through GC or something and pay for their replacement warranty.

House gear is usually treated pretty well since it doesn't move much. More often it will get beer spilled on it pretty regularly as well as covered in ash and smoke.

Then also have storage so they can move gear out if needed. Or if you are really cool, have an area where the bands can store their gear. Realistically most musicians rely on their own gear. Cover bands interestingly were the ones that were the most open to using house gear. The rest, not so much. So I figure no point spending a ton.

I don't live in the US so the situation for me is somewhat different from what you describe. Most rehearsal places over here charge peanuts and have utterly shitty equipment (low-end solid state Laney and the like for amps, Behringer stuff, horrid acoustics, extra small spaces, etc). The place I work at currently is located in a more upscale part of town, where there isn't much competition, so the owner (of the biz, it's still a rental) gets to charge more and has a decent amount of clients. Even though he also uses shitty gear :lol: but since the place is nice and cozy, the bands don't seem to care much (at least the ones that show up, I guess). The soundproofing is really good though, and the acoustics are a bit too dead but nice still (not ideal or anything, yet 'beyond stellar' in comparison to other places).
The dude running our current place is kind of tired from going at it for some 7 years, so I could end up inheriting the clientele.

VERY rarely have I seen people bring their own amps.. Kbs and other instruments are brought much more often, in comparison.

My idea would not be to flood the rooms with tons of gear nor to get boutique stuff, for many obvious reasons. Just offer good quality and only the necessary equipment (no more). Insuring it all too, of course.
From talking with bands and kids who frequent the current place, I think getting nicer gear would be a big value, since there isn't much of that going on locally.