Thinking of attending PPUSA from the UK

The Necromancer

New Metal Member
Jan 13, 2008
Are there any tips you can give me? Especially about where to stay! I need to ensure that I have sufficient finances for the trip before I take the plunge and buy the ticket.

All help is welcome - SPARE NO DETAIL!

Are there any tips you can give me? Especially about where to stay! I need to ensure that I have sufficient finances for the trip before I take the plunge and buy the ticket.

All help is welcome - SPARE NO DETAIL!

I've suggested this in the past - take the subway system (called MARTA).
There is a stop at the Atlanta airport and there is a stop within a block of Center Stage (Arts Center - N5). Same train - just get on at the airport and get off at Arts Center. Here's their URL:

http://www.itsmarta.com/

Here's a map of the rail system:

http://www.itsmarta.com/getthere/schedules/index-rail.htm

The airport is stop S7, the Arts Center stop is N5. Doesn't matter if you get on the train to Doraville or North Springs because they all go to Arts Center.

I've taken it each time I've been to ProgPower. It's not bad. If you plan on taking it several times, I suggest you get a several day pass. (each station has vending machines, including the one at the airport)

About hotels and such - unfortunately Glenn picked a weekend where there's another event going on and a lot of close hotels are booked. I'm sure others here can let you know of other hotels nearby. :)

All those links were very helpful thank you! I can't help having a feeling that it's going to be a case of "turn up and see how it goes", although I appreciate that booking a hotel will be a necessity. Is there anything to see in/around Atlanta?

All those links were very helpful thank you! I can't help having a feeling that it's going to be a case of "turn up and see how it goes", although I appreciate that booking a hotel will be a necessity. Is there anything to see in/around Atlanta?

OrbWeaver is correct that you probably won't have much free time with PP starting in the late afternoon.

As others have said on the boards, watch for an announcement for a PP luncheon at Front Page News in mid-town Atlanta (a few blocks south of Center Stage). Great place to meet other PP people (including yours truly).

My friend Steve (SkiBumMSP on here) and I have seen the CNN Center, World of Coca-Cola and Georgia Aquarium in past trips. CNN Center is the world HQ of CNN. They offer tours if you would like to see what goes on behind the scenes. The Georgia Aquarium is a large modern aquarium (be prepared to spend quite a bit of time there). And the World of Coca-Cola is a museum of Coca-Cola history (Atlanta is the world HQ of Coca-Cola). All are within a short walking distance of MARTA.

Feel free to PM me if you would like details.