This has to be a bad joke (ultimate-guitar.com)

glwstck

Jan 15, 2012
Sorry if this is a "known issue" and has been brought up before, but this better be a fucking joke:

160312140341_ultimateguitar.jpg

(All Led Zeppelin Tabs)

Seriously, what the fucking hell?

Noticed this too but simple explanation: Led Zeppelin doesn't want to have tabs circulate the internet and their managment asked them to close those tabs. Metallica and Rammstein are known to dislike online tabs too.

As exaggerated as this is.... use your ears, there have been times without tabs, and IMHO that's really the kind of training that deserves this word.
Once you're in the "right lane" you will be able to visualize the fretboard of the player.
Seriously, give it a try :)

and don't start with Holdsworth :Spin:

This has been going on for quite some time - the never ending battle with the MPA (Music Publishers Association) and other copyright owners - it's generally not the bands themselves, but the publishing companies losing out on perceived profits.

See Wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tablature#Legal_issues

Legal issues

There has been much controversy over the legal position of tablature available on the Internet, as many Internet tablature websites provide user-created tablature without properly acquiring a print license from, or paying royalties to, the original songwriter and, often, the music publisher that controls these licenses. Although many of the Internet tablature websites that offer user-created tablature do not charge consumers for these transcriptions, revenue generated from advertising on these websites is typically kept by the website owners as profit, or used to cover the website's maintenance costs, and no – or very limited – royalties are received by the original songwriter. Further, music publishers and artists have been wary to license content to certain user-generated tablature websites due to quality issues with the tablature created by amateur users.
Such free Internet tablature sites often attempt to defend themselves by claiming to be educational providers or non-profit organizations, even if not formally registered as such.[7][not in citation given] This leads to considerable difficulty justifying the service as legal under the fair use doctrine of copyright law (see Fair use as a defense). The legality of free Internet tablature served by such websites is disputed, largely because websites have thus far only been threatened with legal action; the issue has yet[when?] to be taken to court.

As of December 12, 2005, distributing free tablatures of copyrighted music using the Internet was considered illegal by the music industry in the United States.[citation needed] By early 2006, an unprecedented legal move was taken by the Music Publishers' Association (MPA), initiating legal action against tablature websites that hosted interpretations of songs and music. The MPA had been pushing for websites offering free tablatures to be shut down. MPA president Lauren Keiser said that their goal is for owners of free tablature services to face fines and even imprisonment.[8] Several websites that offered free tablature have taken their tablature off-line until a solution or compromise is found. One of the proposed solutions is an alternative compensation system, which allows the widespread reproduction of digital copyrighted works while still paying songwriters and copyright owners. In addition, there are now a number of "legal" services offering guitar tablature that have been licensed by music publishers.[9]

One site, MetalTabs.com, contacts the bands themselves for permission to post tablature. Few bands have declined the request.[10]

The tablature debate was featured on NPR's Morning Edition in a segment entitled "Music Industry Goes after Guitar Tablature Websites" on August 7, 2006.[11]

On April 10, 2010, Ultimate Guitar (UG), a Russia-based, free on-line tablature site, entered a licensing agreement with Harry Fox Agency.[12] The agreement included rights for lyrics display, title search and tablature display with download and print capabilities. HFA’s over 44,000 represented publishers have the opportunity to opt in to the licensing arrangement with UG.

Rise of legal guitar tablature sites

In light of the legal questions surrounding user-created on-line guitar tablature, a number of companies have been formed that claim to offer consumers legal on-line tablature, which has been officially-licensed from songwriters and/or music publishers. These companies offering legal content generally fall into three categories:

Websites that offer "professionally-created" content: These websites typically hire professional musicians to transcribe songs into guitar tablature, and generally charge anywhere from $0.99 to $6.99 for the ability to purchase legal pieces of guitar tablature. These websites also claim to have acquired the proper licenses to display this tablature on-line. Several websites in this first category specifically cater to guitarists, including guitarinstructor.com[13] and unitedwetab.com.[14]

Websites that offer "user-created" tablature, but have obtained the proper legal clearances to post these transcriptions on-line. There are several websites that fall into this second category, including Guitar World Tabs,[15] mxtabs.net,[16] and ultimate-guitar.com[17] which generally do not charge consumers for using these user-created tablature pieces, and share any advertising revenue with music publishers and/or songwriters.
Websites that index other tablature resources, and offer unique formatting options, such as cleantab[18] and chordie.[19]

Mxtabs.net

Mxtabs.net had been closed down due to complaints from copyright holders. However, as of February 23, 2006, the owners of Mxtabs put the website back on-line with a letter explaining their position. In short, they believe that the purpose of Mxtabs is to "aid musicians in learning their instruments". They say that Mxtabs has accounted for as much as $3000 a month in sheet music sales, and offers many tablatures that do not have equivalent sheet music published, so Mxtabs and similar sites are the only place that musicians can find a way to play these songs (other than figuring the songs out for themselves). The letter concludes by pointing out that tablatures have never been proven to be illegal, then requesting that sheet-music companies contact Mxtabs in order to create a system of tablature licensing.
On February 29, 2008, MXTabs.net relaunched as the first legitimately licensed site designed to provide musicians with access to free tablatures, while also compensating music publishers and songwriters for their intellectual property. Similar to other user generated content sites, MXTabs.net users are encouraged to create, edit, rate, and review their own tablature interpretations of their favourite songs. However, unlike other user-generated content sites, only songs that have received explicit permission from participating copyright owners will be made available on-line.

Guitar Tab Universe

On 17 July 2006, Guitar Tab Universe (GTU) posted a letter on its home page that its ISP had been jointly threatened with legal action by the National Music Publishers Association (NMPA) and the MPA "on the basis that sharing tablature constitutes copyright infringement".[20]

In response, GTU's site owner(s) immediately created a website named Music Student and Teacher Organization (MuSATO) to attempt to reposition themselves from an illegal-copyrighted-materials provider to an "education provider". MuSATO's main objective is to use fair use as their rationale to publish tablature free of charge. By claiming to be an educational provider, they do not have to obtain publication rights nor pay royalties to the original composers. MuSATO claims to be educational by classifying users downloading tablatures as "music students" and transcribers as "music teachers".

Furthermore, MuSATO also argues that Internet guitar tablature does not infringe upon publishers' copyrights because the tablature it provides does not contain rhythmic information and therefore is not an entirely accurate representation of the song. However, it did not note that some lyrics provided are copyrighted. It has since removed lyrics from all tablature in an attempt to appease the NMPA.[citation needed] Tablature is not directly provided to users unless it is through the forum, where members link to other websites hosting tablature.

GuitarTabs.com has been contacted by the NMPA and MPA with similar copyright infringement allegations. The NMPA and MPA have also threatened Guitar Tab Universe with similar legal action. A copy of the certified letter received by the site owner, along with a brief note similar to the one posted on Mxtabs, has been posted on their website.[21]

OLGA.net

OLGA.net is another tablature site that has been removed after receiving letters from lawyers representing the NMPA and the MPA.[citation needed]

Yeah, like it or not it is copyright infringement it's just that no one cares if they don't have a tab book for sale. I'm sure this one could be solved with simple profit sharing or royalties paid out by the websites.

They do this with bands a lot. It's nearly impossible to use most Coroner or Nuclear Assault tabs because they've all been taken down.

Also, gotta say it, 90% of the unofficial tabs that I've come across in my time have been wrong and only serve as a starting point at best.

Also, gotta say it, 90% of the unofficial tabs that I've come across in my time have been wrong and only serve as a starting point at best.

Yeah this, I was trying to learn a song and couldn't find a decent tab anywhere other than for the solo in the song.

Thankfully this place helped me out. :lol:

But then again, I have purchased tab books in the past and those can be equally as bad (as in, nobody would play the song that way :lol:)

yea i really don't understand how anyone could logically argue that a 15 year old kid who learns a song all half-assed, types it up in notepad, then posts it on the internet could possibly be taking money out of the original artist's pockets. i can see them getting pissed about magazines/books selling their songs and claiming to be the proper way to play them and keeping the $$...but i find it seriously, seriously, wrong to consider someone's typed out interpretation of how to play something to be copyright infringement.

yea i really don't understand how anyone could logically argue that a 15 year old kid who learns a song all half-assed, types it up in notepad, then posts it on the internet could possibly be taking money out of the original artist's pockets. i can see them getting pissed about magazines/books selling their songs and claiming to be the proper way to play them and keeping the $$...but i find it seriously, seriously, wrong to consider someone's typed out interpretation of how to play something to be copyright infringement.

You think like that... but the managers/publishers of tab books don't think so. There is actually a chance that those tabs might be right and that way the tab books aren't bought (and those books cost ALOT, it's outrageous).

I'm a fan of tabbing by ear, evenually starting from a tab and then build from it. You learn it better and you have a feeling of accomplishment

yea i really don't understand how anyone could logically argue that a 15 year old kid who learns a song all half-assed, types it up in notepad, then posts it on the internet could possibly be taking money out of the original artist's pockets.

It's really not the "original artists" that are up in arms over it - it's the music publisher that have issues with it. As for the 15 year old tabbing out a song, they have no issue with doing that, it's when you "publish" it for others to use that they take issue with. Trust me - I think it's pretty silly myself, but if their is a potential for profit, someones going to try to limit the ability of others (also note at issue is that most tab sites make money with advertising revenue, revenue for a product they don't own or didn't create (the music that is tabbed - making money from a product they contributed nothing to the costs of making).

If it continues like this then we will get fined for whistling or humming our favorite songs in public in 2020 and simply remembering them without a permission from the recording company in 2030... :D

"Hey you ! We detected that you just had that famous melody in your mind and you didn't pay for that pleasure ! You are going to jail !!!"

If it continues like this then we will get fined for whistling or humming our favorite songs in public in 2020 and simply remembering them without a permission from the recording company in 2030... :D

The failure of the music industry is to adapt new profit models but they aren't extending their reach any further than they always did. Ever hear of the "fake book"? The bottom line is that their position is that if someone is making money (either directly or ad supported) off the distribution of copyrighted material then they (the copyright holders) deserve a cut. That position is logical, legal and justifiable if often short sighted.

Remember www.mysongbook.com?
I remember everyone, and when I say everyone I mean everyone, going there to get tabs, the collection was huge. It was 6 years ago, and the site probably was run by the people who made guitar pro.
the site has been converted to one giving access to tabs made by pros.
It was shut down for a period considering the legal issues, I guess due to the fact tabs were so good, not made by pros anyway... I even uploaded the first guitar pro tab for narchosynthesis, you can still find a tab with my username in it ;)