This is why I take these things seriously...

sixxswine

rockandrollazine.blogspot
Italian Journalist Accused Of Leaking DIMMU BORGIR's 'In Sorte Diaboli' - Mar. 15, 2007 According to Nuclear Blast Records, six weeks prior to the European release date (April 27) of the new DIMMU BORGIR album, "In Sorte Diaboli", the CD appeared on an illegal download web site. Since members of the worldwide metal press were supplied with individual download accounts for the music on the Nuclear Blast web site instead of regular promotional CDs, the source of the leak was quickly uncovered. The personal watermark of Luca Pessina, a writer for Italy's Metalitalia webzine and news editor for the Italian edition of Metal Hammer, was allegedly found on the files, making it clear that he was responsible for the music being distributed illegally, according to Nuclear Blast. The label has already taken legal steps against Pessina, which may result in charges being brought against the journalist. In addition, Nuclear Blast may file a lawsuit to recover some of the damages it claims it suffered as a result of the leak.

"The Serpentine Offering", the lead-off track from DIMMU BORGIR's upcoming album "In Sorte Diaboli", will be available for digital download at iTunes.com beginning March 30.

The three-track North American version of the iTunes single will include an additional two songs NOT included on the album:

"The Serpentine Offering" - Video Edit
"The Heretic Hammer" - Instrumental Version, North American Exclusive

The European version of the three-track iTunes single will feature an exclusive instrumental version of "The Serpentine Offering" in place of the instrumental version of "The Heretic Hammer".

DIMMU BORGIR's new full-length album, "In Sorte Diaboli", will be released on April 24 in North America. The first concept album in the band's history, "In Sorte Diaboli" is set in medieval Europe. A short synopsis of the story and its characters will accompany the lyrics in the CD booklet.

"In Sorte Diaboli" was mixed at Studio Fredman by producers Fredrik Nordström and Patrik J. Sten. DIMMU BORGIR recorded the effort with the following lineup:

Shagrath - Vocals
Silenoz - Guitars
Galder - Guitars
I.C.S. Vortex - Bass & Clean Vocals
Mustis - Keyboards
Hellhammer - Drums

For more information on the different versions of "In Sorte Diaboli" that will be issued in various territories, visit: www.dimmu-borgir.com.

There's no way this should have been leaked so early, but honestly, in my experience over the last 6 or 7 years, "6 weeks early" is the going rate. Maybe this is normally when it is sent to reviewers? The site it was on is not known for having things that early all the time.

And 'illegal' is up for debate. It is a "pay" site, and the album is still up there.

Hmmmmmmmm... you guys gotta remember the pressure these people get when friends know that they have access to unrealeased material. With that said, he got busted... now he pays the price. I don't think he meant to be malicious by doing this... he was just stupid.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHAH!
I need a break...HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
I think the dude will learn a good lesson.
You guys remember when that guy played the whole Metallica album on the radio and got fired cause it hadn't been released yet?
I feel sorry for those people because they have something good and then they go and fuck themselves over by showing off.
He deserves what ever he gets.:heh:

What a bonehead. He should have realized that an authorized download was going to be watermarked somehow, and his anonymity was sacrificed.

This is a unique way for record labels to lessen their promo albums getting leaked, but it's certainly not failsafe. My guess is you could record the download onto a blank cd, and then re-rip it to mp3 and the watermark would be gone (it's usually hidden in the code).

There's no way this should have been leaked so early, but honestly, in my experience over the last 6 or 7 years, "6 weeks early" is the going rate. Maybe this is normally when it is sent to reviewers? The site it was on is not known for having things that early all the time.

And 'illegal' is up for debate. It is a "pay" site, and the album is still up there.

I get stuff at times 2-3 months in advance at times, then have to sit on the review until about a month before it's release. But you're right the average is about 6 weeks...

integrity.
that guy lacks rather a lot.
its very wrong when people do that,it really is.
really screws things up for the bands more than anyone..

Baldy, could you explain how it screws things up? I'm curious. I download a whole bunch of stuff on a fairly regular basis. SOme is promo some is not. I'm completely honest about it -- what I like, I buy. What I don't like gets deleted.

First and foremost, I'm a music fan and see it as a responsibility to support the music that I enjoy. I don't think there's a reviewer out there that's totally in sync with my two ears and that's why I download. I only have a certain amount of money to spend on entertainment so if I blind buy something that I don't like then that's going to take away from another artist.

Just wondering...

Baldy, could you explain how it screws things up? I'm curious. I download a whole bunch of stuff on a fairly regular basis. SOme is promo some is not. I'm completely honest about it -- what I like, I buy.

Let's be honest here you're most likley in the minority.
The biggest demographic that used to "buy" music is the 15-25 year olds and they just don't "buy" music anymore. It hurts bands, plain and simple.

The biggest demographic that used to "buy" music is the 15-25 year olds and they just don't "buy" music anymore. It hurts bands, plain and simple.

not THAT plain and simple...Would they buy if there was no download possibility? Nope, becouse there's no Metal on radio, TV , ... and people would simply not know the majority of underground bands. Now if someone DL's a record and likes it there's a chance he will buy the CD, go to a concert, buy a shirt, spread the word to other people who do buy CD's etc...

There just is NO difference with the tape trading of the 80's..I used to have maybe a 1000 tapes, mostly bands of wich I didn't have records, but if you wanna know how much money I spend on concerts of bands I didn't have records of, how many of those bands I promoted...

For me it's another "plain and simple"; Downloading stuff and listening to it is just like listening to radio... As there is no decent Metal played on radio people need other sources to get their music..

CD's also are over-priced, how much does a band get for each sold CD (Baldy??)... there's too much money getting lost with profit of record companies, distribution, record-shop profits etc...

Well, as we're busy, let's also blame economy: if you're in you're early 20's, need a car and gasoline to work, need to rent a place to live in , pay all kinds of stupid taxes... All this stuff has become so expensive over the last years that for alot of people there just is not that much money left to buy all good CD's available. So people start downloading stuff to cut costs..Are they to blame than ?

Well, it's probably that endless discussion again.
I think bands still can do good business IF they produce good quality music, get theirselves a good promotion machine and want to tour... Downloading is a fact, a band rather can try and use the download for their advantage ,for promotion, rather than fighting it.

There just is NO difference with the tape trading of the 80's..I used to have maybe a 1000 tapes, mostly bands of wich I didn't have records, but if you wanna know how much money I spend on concerts of bands I didn't have records of, how many of those bands I promoted...

CD's also are over-priced, how much does a band get for each sold CD (Baldy??)... there's too much money getting lost with profit of record companies, distribution, record-shop profits etc...

I loved tape trading for me it was about demos and live shows, I never got into trading studio quality stuff. Discs are over priced that's why Tower Records went belly up! I have a friend that just went out of business after 2.5 years selling music because business stalled....

You should see about getting yourself a job as a record company lobbyist. Demographics? That sounds like it came straight out of some package sent to senators and congresspersons. Orrin Hatch will be looking at blowing up illegal downloaders' computers again.

Do they not buy music at all anymore or do they buy singles from iTunes and other pay sites? Do they make their own collection CDs or playlists on their MP3 players? Do they opt for that rather than spend $15 on a CD for the one song they like?

Historically the top grossing bands are the ones that tour. Tesla outgrossed lots of bands that were far more popular. The Grateful Dead hardly ever released anything in the latter stage of their career but still outgrossed nearly everyone. Like Carnut said, the more available the product, the greater the exposure, the more likely tickets on tour stops will sell.

I have no sympathy for the record companies at all. Rather than embrace and learn about the technology and use it to their advantage they instead used their uneducated PR and marketing machine to lobby the equally uneducated government. They're the ones that created the model of one good song per disc and now that people can download that one song and skip the disc entirely it's biting them in the butt. They got so fat and bloated off of it that now they can't roll out the shit pile they're in.