This mission is over John ... Igor quits

lurch70

Sep 27, 2002
NYC
hmm ... an eventual reunion in a few years with original members is I am sure in the works ...

but if Igor quit ... can the name be carried on by the rest of the band?

Drummer Igor Cavalera has officially announced his departure from SEPULTURA (as first reported by BLABBERMOUTH.NET on January 13, 2006 and subsequently denied by both the band and Igor).

In a statement released today (June 12) to the Brazilian media, Igor attributed the split to "artistic incompatibility" with his SEPULTURA bandmates — guitarist Andreas Kisser, bassist Paulo Xisto Pinto Jr. and vocalist Derrick Green.

"I believe my time in SEPULTURA has come to an end," Igor said in the statement. "I have a lot of pride in everything we have done, but I feel that the group's current formation does not meet my expectations as a musician and a person. Since my last tour with SEPULTURA, which took place in Europe in December 2004, I have sensed that my ideas were not compatible with those of the rest of the band.

"I would really like to thank all of the fans that supported me and continue supporting our music. I would also like to thank everybody that worked to make SEPULTURA the band that it had become."

Igor announced earlier in the year that he was taking a break from the group's touring activities to spend time with his second wife and their new son (who was born in January). Filling in on drums during the band's European tour with IN FLAMES was Mayorga, who played with Igor's brother Max in SOULFLY for several years in the late '90s and again in 2001-2003.

Igor is the second Cavalera to leave SEPULTURA. In 1996, Max Cavalera exited the group after the rest of the band fired Max's wife Gloria as SEPULTURA's manager.

SEPULTURA are rumored to have selected Jean Dolabella (ex-UDORA) as their new permanent drummer following Roy Mayorga's decision to join STONE SOUR as a full-time member.

It rules because I rarely remember Sepultura are even around anymore.

Last one I heard was Nation, made it to around track 5 before permanently shelving it.

Yeah, James Pussfield and Wusscore Fagtallica shoulda packed it in ages ago. As far as Sepultura, their new stuff does nothing for me. At all. So they sound like their in the same boat.

And I agree, when a band starts sucking ass, they should just pack it in. If you're going to change your ideals radically, then change the band name, don't alienate yourself from your fans.

Yeah but, which fans get to decide which groups call it quits? Granted, there are a handful of bands of mine that I wish would throw in the towel, but I can't expect them to do that just because I think they belong to the Nowadays Suck Club.

Or can I?

MYSTERY POST!

Yeah, I know. I'm just saying, a lot of these bands went off in a radical new direction.. does it matter which fans you piss off and which you keep? Just change the name, rather than confuse everyone :p

but is it right for the rest of thje band to carry on under the Sep name without the Cavallera's?

It's all about who writes the songs (regarding whether the band name can stick).

If Max and Igor have left, then that's it IMO.

Helloween on the other hand is hanging on by a thread. Michael Weikath is the main songwriter (always has been) and the only original band member left, so I guess he carries the name. If he were to leave, that would be it for Helloween.

Igor should join Max and then they should get Alex Skolnick and Dave Ellefson and do early Sep cover tunes. :loco:

It's funny how people thought that if Max came back, Sep would suddenly be good again. Oh well. Maybe Igor can join Soulfly :lol:

Who-who-who-who has won?
Who-who-who-who has died?
BENEATH THE REMAINS!

0-0-0
0-0-000-000
0-0-0
0-0-000-000

play that on an open E and what do you get...

that mid-section to DEAD EMBRYONIC CELLS. :kickass: x 10000

labratory sickness
infects humanity
no hope for a cure
die by technology

Don't forget the lead guitar breakdown in "Beneath the Remains" that sounds remarkably like the melody to Nirvana's "All Apologies" :lol:

JayKeeley said:
Igor should join Max and then they should get Alex Skolnick and Dave Ellefson and do early Sep cover tunes. :loco:
:kickass:

I saw some blurb in Bass Player with Ellefson, he has his own band now I guess. I need to scope that shit out, or something.

Crimson Velvet said:
Metallica released decent material as late as '97, while Sepultura hasn't released anything worhtwhile since '91, so that's not a fair comparison! :mad:

Um... no. Metallica last released good material in '88, then released mediocre material in '91, and nothing remotely good since. Sepultura released good stuff through '93 or whenever Chaos AD came out. They started sucking after Max left.

JayKeeley said:
Helloween on the other hand is hanging on by a thread. Michael Weikath is the main songwriter (always has been) and the only original band member left, so I guess he carries the name. If he were to leave, that would be it for Helloween.

Honestly I think if he or Markus quits it would be over. Weikath has always written a majority of the music, and Markus's basslines are such an integral part of there sound; I think if one of them decided they were out they would just go ahead and end it, at least I would hope.

jimbobhickville said:
Um... no. Metallica last released good material in '88, then released mediocre material in '91, and nothing remotely good since. Sepultura released good stuff through '93 or whenever Chaos AD came out. They started sucking after Max left.

Yeah, it's really a good thing your opinion means nothing to me.