Those whacky Japanese....

rockmanxpr

High Speed Samurai
Jan 12, 2003
Sunnyvale, CA
Visit site
I'm a fan of Japanese pop culture, so I was watching this program that features Morning Musume which is a very popular Jpop girl group and this was some kind of Variety show. Make a long story short, during a part where a narrator was explaining something you hear a clip of Eye's of Medusa! I'm used to hearing lots of songs the Japanese tv programs use like Metallica and such, but this threw me a curve. This just shows you that the Japanese variety shows are better than ours!

I lived in Japan for quite a few years and was always glad to hear bands that I liked on various programs. I even heard Helloween on the news! I worked in TV and radio there, and a lot of the people working on production were metalheads. I've heard Symphony X, Gamma Ray, Rage, Blind Guardian, Yngwie, and all kinds of stuff like that. Not too much deathy stuff, though. (Some of the late-night shows do throw in some black/death every so often. It's just a little much for the mainstream audience.)
In Japan, a lot of "regular" people are into metal. It's not quite the subculture that it is in the U.S., anyway.
The fellow with the big, bleached-blonde hair wearing a business suit and carrying a briefcase on the train one day was a little strange, I have to admit...

The best thing I've seen on TV here in Australia is some news documentary how this guy ripped off this family and got away with it or something and the victems brother was talking to the camera how its "Discusting what happened to my brother....." and he was wearing a DT Awake shirt.

Soungs like jack-shit, but its the truth, thats the best I've seen.

Some of you may have seen the MTV special "Ultrasound: Social History of the Mosh Pit" or something like that. There is a part where they are talking to some chick at woodstock 99 who got raped or something horrible and in the background there was a guy wearing an in flames shirt... that was kinda cool.

I wish I lived in Japan. They have everything that I love (yes, I'd like the self-warming toilet as well), and they seem to be very smart people. Also very humble and nice. And the fact that many of them are into really good music is also great. Japan is music/videogaming heaven! :)

I have heard the opening riff to At The Gates "Slaught of the Soul" in the backround of some MTV show. I also remember hearing a riff from a Lacuna Coil, don't remember where though, may have been MTV also.