Thoughts about Vintersorg

bilos

New Metal Member
Jan 11, 2002
Greece
Visit site
Hi to all Vintersorg fans!Yesterday i found in a store Cosmic Genesis.From the first listening of the album i really enjoyed their music!I have heard a lot of bad and good things about them.The greek Metal Hammer gave Cosmic Genesis a 2/10.I would like to hear your opinions about what Vintersorg means to you!Please be honest!
P.S Is there anyone who can help me find Vintersorg's previous releases because here in Greece is very difficult to find!

2/10?? That´s criminal?? What kind of magazine is Metal Hammer?? Maybe what we in sweden call "gubbrock" (=old man rock)??

Originally posted by bilos
Hi to all Vintersorg fans!Yesterday i found in a store Cosmic Genesis.From the first listening of the album i really enjoyed their music!I have heard a lot of bad and good things about them.The greek Metal Hammer gave Cosmic Genesis a 2/10.I would like to hear your opinions about what Vintersorg means to you!Please be honest!
P.S Is there anyone who can help me find Vintersorg's previous releases because here in Greece is very difficult to find!

Bad things? 2/10? WTF? *Morgana falls of her chair*
*crawls back on the chair* Do they know anything about music?
Poor magazine....

Vintersorg is one of mine all time fave and the CG is the most played album in my stereo.
Befor it was Bruce Dickinson's "Accident Of Birth" and "The Chemical Wedding"

Top 5 of my most played albums:

1. Vintersorg - Comic Genesis
2. Bruce Dickinson - Accident Of Birth
3. Bruce Dickinson - The Chemical Wedding
4. Vintersorg - Ödemarkens Son
5. Uriah Heep - Innocent Victim (LP)

Of course, I have many more albums I listen to regular...

Originally posted by Nectar
2/10?? That´s criminal?? What kind of magazine is Metal Hammer?? Maybe what we in sweden call "gubbrock" (=old man rock)??
i belive it is more the quite opisite, its more a nu metal magazine.. which seems to suck.. never really read it, just flipped trough some issues in the store...

and well, what Vintersorg means to me?
i can still remember the first time heard Vintersorg.. i where listening to the radio alight monday nigh, and on came a song by this guy Vintersorg, it was called Svältvinter, and it was just so beutifull!!
i loved the combination between the clean vocals, the growls and the female vocal, i fell in love at once, and went out to get the album the day after! :D
now i got all three albums and the first MCD

PS. i could probably get all of them up here in Norway.. but it would probably be expencive to ship them... but if u want me to do it i could see what i can do...

Well, if you enjoyed it, then what difference does a Magazine review make? :)

Vintersorg is just beautiful music. That's really all I can say about it. Cosmic Genesis has both songs in English and Swedish, but I tend to prefer the older albums where the songs are all in Swedish. I may not understand the words, but the swedish songs tend to have lyrics that not only sound more poetic but they fit better with the melodies in the music.

Vintersorg is hands down my favorite band. No question (at the moment of course :) ) but the guys are genious and the fact that a nu-metal magazine gave it 2/10, while being completely insane, is understandable since nu-metal fans easily couldnt appreciate the beauty and complexity of this music.

Vintersorg sings with so much damn passion and emotion you cant help but just be enthralled and drift away into the music. On every damn album at that. I dont know what the hell hes talking about but damnit, its beautiful. Till Fjalls and Odenmarks Son frequent my CD player a ton lately.

Long live Vintersorg!!!!! :headbang:

yeah.. i like the swedish ones bether too.. but then again I understand the texsts. i were really against Vintersorg singing in english when that news came out, but it did not turn out to be to bad, but it misses the little exstra, that is in the old swedish ones
I'm kinda surprised that u people who dont understand the swedish texsts like them better too.. but that just prooves that the 'old' Vintersorg was better!

2 out of ten you say? Well, it all depends who writes the reviews isn't it... In some magazines I read you always have a soundcheck where everybody can give points to a CD, and mostly I just look at the points of the reviewers I know that have the same musical taste, all the others give their highest points to CD's I really don't give a fuck about.

I agree that it depends who's writing the review.But unfortunately if someone don't know a band ,Vintersorg for example,he thinks that this band sucks.And that is the problem.So the only thig we must do is to depend on our ears.And thanks Lord that i did in case of Vintersorg!

I wouldnt go as far as to say Vintersorgs older stuff was better. I feel like that means Cosmic Genesis wasnt up to Vintersorg standards, which I think is on the contrary, I think its a genious piece of metal. I was extremely pleased with CG.

As for the review, I still stand firm. If it was a nu-metal magazine it doesnt suprise me :D

2/10?? That´s criminal?? What kind of magazine is Metal Hammer??

in German Metal Hammer CG got a splendid rating ;)
so, Metal Hammer in different countries have different ppl. who review albums and therefore different opinions and tastes! mind that...!:)

Originally posted by opacity

in German Metal Hammer CG got a splendid rating ;)
so, Metal Hammer in different countries have different ppl. who review albums and therefore different opinions and tastes! mind that...!:)

oh yes that's true indeed, it's not the Magazine in general that is shit, there are big differences between the countries as we can see. in German Metal Hammer it was rated much better. i still can't see the reasons why to give only 2 of 10 though. even if you don't like it at all, you have to see that the vocals and the music are good, that's not a matter of taste, these are just facts!! the production isn't bad, it's not boring, the songs don't sound the same, vocals whether clean or not are great, so there are really no reasons to give only a 2.

@ TheEmperor:
yeah, you're definitely right, but who knows who gave 2/10? probably someone who doesn't like this music, or cannot get into it...
like for instance, when a guy who is a fan of pure hardcore and noise must write a critique of (let's say) hammerfall....
:lol: :lol: I guess it would be worse than just some insulting words and phrases! :) and for him, it would be a fact, that the lyrics and vocals are shit and that the music was boring. so, I think it is a matter of taste, indeed.

I must say that greek Metal Hammer isn't NU or staff like that.It's more into Maiden,Priest,Manowar,Queensryche,atmospheric metal,death/black and staff like that.The writer of the review likes Dodheimsgard,Fleurety,Thorns,Ulver and music like that, so he is into the kind of music it's difficult to listen to.Maby he found the music of Vintersorg simple.He wrote that Vintersorg is not talented and he has no luck to suceed.Of course in my opinion the music of Vintersorg is just great!

Originally posted by bilos
I must say that greek Metal Hammer isn't NU or staff like that.It's more into Maiden,Priest,Manowar,Queensryche,atmospheric metal,death/black and staff like that.The writer of the review likes Dodheimsgard,Fleurety,Thorns,Ulver and music like that, so he is into the kind of music it's difficult to listen to.Maby he found the music of Vintersorg simple.He wrote that Vintersorg is not talented and he has no luck to suceed.Of course in my opinion the music of Vintersorg is just great!

*Morgana is falling of her chair again* the person who wrote the review doesn't know anything about music at all!