Thoughts on EZX Metalheads

Calippo Tecks

Feb 6, 2005
Belgium
Any of you have this one already?
I recently bought it and I'm not sure what to think about it.
The kickdrums are quite okay but those snares have way too much high and you really have to boost them a lot in the 200 hz range, or I just haven't figured out properly how to eq them.
I do like the cymbals a lot, but those snares...
Also the two snares sound very equally.

how are the cymbals? can they compete with metal foundry!?
some raw clips would be cool.

cheers
S.

^ Nice, thanks for sharing. I must say that snare sounds pretty meh though, but nothing a sample can't fix.

Well I will say, in a pinch... it's usable. If I'm just tracking some demo stuff for my band (bear in mind I pretty much only deal with my band) it'll do the job. But the sound is a bit too aggressive and lacking in dynamics to be useful for me other than demo material. On our proper recordings, I'd infinitely prefer Jim Scott drums, Evil Joe Baressi drums or the Andy Johns pack from Platinum Samples, along with BFD2 - Rail's kits tend to sound more natural, and easier to carve out my own sound. But the Metalheads EZX really finds its home imo, when you need something that isn't RAM intensive, for songwriting along to.

The cymbals sound pretty decent. I think I'll get this, use the cymbals and use SSD for the rest of the kit.

What I don't like about the EZX Metalheads is that you get 2 mic positions for the snare as usual and a third one that is 'processed'. The processed one sounds quite good, but still a bit too thin. You can't use the whole thing without the processed one because the snares top and bottom on its own sound really too high and thin imo.

I do like this cymbals more than any others (addictive, dfh, s2.0,...).

+1 on EZX Nashville, the best EZX you can have.

So after a week of playing with them, I like them. Here's a sort clip from the meshuggah midis. It's processed [allot].
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5072151/kourampies.mp3

The "trigger"channels are weird. At first I thought they would be just that, a sample blender, but basically it's the core sound, the other channels sound like different/or low volume mike positions and are useless on their own, just as Calippo said.

The snares are ok, not very fat, a reverb helps.

The cymbals are awesome.

The toms, I'm not sure I like them. I can't seem to be able to get a tight sound out of them... (and that's probably my fault)