Thoughts on Fenria (SWE) - "De Åt Döden Vigda"?

Reign in Acai

Of Elephant and Man
Jun 25, 2003
Favela of My Dismay
Fenria emit a unique strain of harsh BM with a dose of chilling ambience thrown into the mix for good measure. The incredible, experimental title track lasts almost 40 minutes and – even though the final third of this is effectively glorified ‘noise’ - never becomes boring. Quite an astonishing achievement!

Raw menace that could stand up with any of Sweden’s most grim exponents of the black genre is allied to cold, industrial soundscapes that’ll make you think twice before next stepping into an elevator. Fenria’s allegiance to all things shrill and fierce resurfaces on the 14-minute ‘C.D.W.D’ - a dense, impenetrable exercise in claustrophobic dementia. Once more, however, curveballs appear and the listener is challenged by the inclusion of atypical intermissions.

The delightfully-named unholy trinity of Necroghoul, Hornaeus and Terrorgoat have succeeded in crafting a volume that is refreshingly different in these days of mind-numbing duplication. Fenria deserve recognition.

-Review by Papa Josh's wife.

----

Anybody here who owns this album have anything positive/negative to say about it?! The 7 minute myspace snippet is the only sample I can find. Considering that it is merely only 15% of the song, it's quite hard to make a judgment on it.

http://www.myspace.com/fenria

http://rapidshare.com/files/122407607/Fenria_-_De_et_Doeden_Vigda.rar

VBR around 112-128kbps, pretty shitty but not easy to find.

The first track is quite good, though it's really only 28 minutes. The last 10 minutes were very aptly named "noise" by the review. The next track C.D.W.D. carries this on. 14 minute song, and the last 7 minutes that are virtually identical to the 10 minutes of relative nothing within the first track, Det At Doden Vigda. An attempt to make ambient music, without the ambiance I suppose. It would be a much stronger album without this to be honest. It adds nothing of value in this case, and takes away really..I'd say it's worth the $5, but I probably wouldn't pay more for it. The last track is a much more appropriate 2:30 ambient track.

You were right about Elffor though. Certainly worth buying. Kind of reminds me of Saltus - Slavonic Pride in a way, though Elffor focuses more heavily on the ambient and atmospheric feel while Saltus the metal element.