Thoughts on Revamp?

orcslayr23

Jan 30, 2008
CT, USA
I'm surprised there isn't a topic about this yet (maybe I just missed it)

Like everyone else on then planet, I love Floor's voice in Nightwish. Last night I checked out her other band, Revamp, and I was very disappointed. Floor's voice was pretty good but overall the music seemed pretty bland. It doesn't help that i'm jaded against female-fronted bands, but I checked out Revamp with a more open mind than I do most.

Anyone else like/dislike this band?

I have to agree that I was never huge on After Forever or ReVamp before Floor joined Nightwish. However, when I interviewed Floor back in August, I received a copy of the new ReVamp album from the record label, and I decided to give them another try. Granted, it's not Nightwish, but I really like the new album. I haven't had a chance to revisit the first ReVamp album, but even Floor said in the interview that Wild Card has a much heavier direction.

However, I don't think I will ever be a fan of After Forever. I love Floor's voice and I always thought she was a great singer, but I never thought the band was good enough for her! I'm not saying they aren't talented, but it just never clicked with me. It was one of those things where I wanted to like it, but I wasn't finding a whole lot of reasons why I should. I even said at one point back before Anette was chosen that if Floor joined Nightwish, I'd turn in my OSA badge. :lol: At the time, I felt that bringing in a well-known name, especially to replace Tarja, would have given the band a "supergroup" factor and would have taken away from the music, which is why I felt this way. It was never because I thought Floor was a bad singer, that's for sure! In fact, I'd have to say that her cover of Queen's "Who Wants to Live Forever?" is one of the best covers I've ever heard (and anyone who knows me, knows that I think it should be against the law to try and cover anything Freddie Mercury has sung!).

So yeah, I really dig the new ReVamp album, but I think most Nightwish fans would be wise to go into this not expecting it to be like Nightwish (or more accurately, to have a style or sound like Nightwish), or they will be disappointed. Floor is her own style and writes her own songs, so the songs she sings on her own terms and the songs Tuomas will write for her voice are gonna be two different things.