Thoughts on the Mackie Onyx 1200f?

Recently saw some basic info on this, thinking bout it over the MOTU Traveler (more inputs/outputs). anyone use it or hear anything about it? how are the Onyx pres vs MOTU's? Link to the Mackie site bout it.

I've looked many places only see ads to buy it no reviews no nothing.

So far my experience with the Mackie Onyx pres has been fantastic. For my rig I'm basing everything off of the 1200F at the heart of it all. I absolutely cannot wait for the 1200F to be released.

For what you are getting, I think it's a great deal. You could get the RME FireFace800 for the same price (or $100 less I think), but you don't get as many features IMO. The 4 seperate headphone outputs, along with seperate mixes for each one, is a fantastic feature...from the reviews so far the headphone outputs are powerful as well. Meaning you won't have to get a seperate headphone amp, just plug the cables straight into the phone outs and you're good to go once making everyone happy with their mix. Dual ADAT I/O, dual MIDI I/O, 12 Onyx preamps w/ 48v...I love it.

For the first time in a while I'm really excited to build my rig up again, and I gotta say it's because of the 1200F and the antipation I have for it.

But in the end though, it's up to you and what you are looking for. I know the 1200F will definitely cover my needs for a great while until I need to expand...at which point I'll just be adding an 8-channel ADAT preamp to it (DigiMax FS).

~e.a

I work with the onyx 1640 firewire.

Mic preamps are fantastic!!!! Firewire works fine!!!

the most importend thing is that your firewire card in your pc has its own IRQ

(Like everysound card)

edit: question:

I dont understand this firewire inputs!!!

Can I go out ouf my mackie 1640 via firewire into the 1200F and from the 1200F vie adat or firewire into my pc???

would be cool to know because of then I would have 28 high class premium mic pres (but I never use more then 13 the same time;)

Can I go out ouf my mackie 1640 via firewire into the 1200F and from the 1200F vie adat or firewire into my pc???

would be cool to know because of then I would have 28 high class premium mic pres (but I never use more then 13 the same time;)

Yes. That's the nice thing about firewire, you can daisy chain it.

Rofl Wolfeman, same here. It's $1,599.00 retail in the states. MmmMmm...can't wait for it to come out.

~e.a

I'm very interested in the Mackie 1200F, but I'm not sure it's got quite enough mic inputs for my needs. What solution do you guys recomend for expanding with 4-8 more inputs?

Each "adat in" on the mackie ( it has two adat in) has 8 channels, so you can add two, 8 channel preamps that have "adat out". It'll pass all 8 channels through the "adat out" connection into the 8 channel capable "adat in" of the Mackie. The adat is connected via an optical cable. Thusly, giving you an extra 16 channels.

Edit: In no way do the adat inputs/outputs correspond to the jack/xlr inputs of channels 1-12. They are completely seperate but can only be utilised with another adat capable preamp e.t.c

Jackal, Familia explained it perfectly. IMO your best bet would be the PreSonus DigiMAX FS 8-channel pre. It has ADAT output and 8 class-A preamps. Two of them into the Mackie will give you a total of 28 inputs which is plenty of ins :)

This is the route I'm going and again, I'm really anxious to get it. Only thing that is annoying me is the fact that Mackie has pushed the release back to January 2007 now instead of this month...oh well.

~e.a

I've been waiting for this to come out ever since it was revealed last year :p

Unbelievable price for what you're getting. I can't wait until the reviews start popping up next month as I'm considering basing my new rig around one.