Thoughts on the new Samael??

'new' Samael? :err: I thought they had broken up?

Do you have any links? I've never followed them, but a friend of mine is a HUGE fan from back in the day and would love to know more.

Thanks for the heads up! :cool:

I'm liking the new album quite a bit. It's a step back in the direction of Eternal in my opinion, and away from the overly techoish Reign of Light. Definitely heavier, and an all-around good album.

Hoyt,

What album did you believe to be their last??

I am not familiar with their catalog at all. I was just saying that I thought they had put their last album out 4 or 5 years ago. My friend who's a fan of the band had read somewhere that they were breaking up a few years back.

did he receive some wrong info? :err:

I am not familiar with their catalog at all. I was just saying that I thought they had put their last album out 4 or 5 years ago. My friend who's a fan of the band had read somewhere that they were breaking up a few years back.

did he receive some wrong info?

I'm not sure about any rumors of breaking up, but they released Eternal in 1999, and didn't have another album out until Riegn of Light in 2004. Since 04 they've released Aeonics, which is a greatest hits of sorts. And of course Solar Soul is the newest album.

EDIT: Era One isn't the greatest hits, Aeonics is. Especially sad since I own both albums :p

I was indifferent to this one. It sounded mechanical and a little noisy in some parts but the biggest problem for me was that there wasn't that melodic hook in the songs. There was melody, just not the hook for me. I'd give it about a 6 out of 10.

did he receive some wrong info? :err:

correct, the info was wrong.

Samael was one of the 1990s-era Century Media bands stuck in contract hell (like, at the time, Strapping Young Lad, The Gathering, Moonspell, Tiamat, and others) after regime changes at CM (say, when shit like Shadows Fall and God Forbid became the norm). There was a long, protracted court battle to release the band from the contract (hence the long recording absence).

The compromise was that CM would release (eventually) an obligation album (Era One/Lessons in Magick), more akin to Xystras's Passage album. Meanwhile, the "new" album (Reign of Light) would be released on a different label.

Meanwhile, CM does still own the rights for the full (up to and not officially including Reign of Light) catallgue, so they have a new compilation (Aeonics, see above).

Samael is one of those kinds of bands founded by siblings (Vorphalack and Xystras, stage names),so they'll never really break apart

17 year bump...

SAMAEL Hope To Release New Music In Early 2025 - "Most Of The Recording Is Done," Says VORPH; Audio

"... In a new interview with El Planeta Del Rock, vocalist/guitarist Vorph of industrial black metal icons Samael talks about the band's next studio album....

We've been on this album for a long time. We had already songs before COVID. Waldemar (Sorychta) came in Switzerland. We checked the songs together. Waldemar, our producer, who did produce most of our albums, actually. And then during COVID, all those songs are kind of their second incarnation - we changed everything. We were actually meeting every month to play together and to check the songs together, because we had no shows, but we wanted to keep the synergy and to see each other was something important. So during that time we had a lot of discussion about what we wanted to do, how we wanted the sound to be. And then, even after that, there is maybe a third incarnation for some of the songs. (Drummer) Xy's still doing a lot of editing at the moment. Most of the recording is done. So we will mix this this fall, if everything goes well. And hopefully early next year we can at least have one new song that we can present. Yeah, that's the idea.

... Samael released their new live album, Passage - Live, back in February via Napalm Records.

Passage - Live is a testament to an album that left its mark on a generation of metal fans, as Samael moved towards a more industrial sound, distancing themselves from their roots in black metal, and simultaneously breaking the band into a wider international audience. Passage has stood the test of time, remaining as fresh today as it was nearly three decades ago, and with Passage - Live, Samael adds new depth to one of the most important albums in the band’s history.

Order here...."

passagecd1223.jpeg