Thrash/Black/Prog

Insania

As Good As Dead
Jun 7, 2002
Sacramento
Visit site
I've read that DL is Thrash/Black/Prog. What are the progressive elements in Dragonlord? I don't know what this means -- can someone give me an example?

Thrasher

:devil:

Progressive in making use of new ideas and constituting metalic atmospheric
theorys, marked by emphasis on informality of encouragements of our own
unknown estrange and self expression.

o_O

~Elric~

Just listen to Dragonlord.........I'm sure you won't repent
they ROCK!!!!!!
headbob.gif

Originally posted by ms. anthrope
the lord of dragons has spoken!

About that, does Dragonlord have a specific meaning, or is it just supposed to sound cool? Actually the same question goes for Testament....

I've pretty much seen that when used in addition to other types of music, progressive tells you very little about how it sounds. If something is called progressive thrash, it's usually thrash, that sounds a little different. It only seems to mean a ton when its used alone. Prog, and prog thrash/black are not the same thing.

first of all, lord eric (heh) was born in the year of the dragon. second, "dragonlord" is based on a fantasy novel i believe. lyle would know more about that.

you are right 'TrueBeliever', progressive thrash is NOT the same as progressive metal! i'm not a huge fan of prog metal, but i do like progressive thrash ;).

Dragonlord prog!? :lol:

No way! You can definitly hear the thrash elements (duh) and of course the new symphonic black metal elements...which are awesome! I have hopes that the new Dragonlord album will sound more atmospheric with more keys! :D

Originally posted by Draconian Demon
Dragonlord prog!? :lol:

No way! You can definitly hear the thrash elements (duh) and of course the new symphonic black metal elements...which are awesome! I have hopes that the new Dragonlord album will sound more atmospheric with more keys! :D

to each his own i guess. i hope it's heavy as fuck, not for the faint of heart.

and from the rough demo i heard a few weeks ago (yes, of the NEW stuff), it's quite 'PROG'. what do you expect from great musicians?

Hmm...

now when you say prog...are you talking Dream Theater prog? I hope not. And on the New Album thread someone (Mr. Lyle himself?) said there will be more keyboards and it will be longer...the two things I hoped for. Whatever it is, more keys is awesome. I love keys.

Originally posted by Draconian Demon
... now when you say prog...are you talking Dream Theater prog? I hope not.

GOSH NO, i personally do not care for DT, tho they are a great band. it's hard to explain because i'm not a musician. the only way i can describe it is that they "go off", if that makes any sense, in a black metal/thrashy way.

not at all pompous like DT!

woah!! I feel honored now :D

Well, he is the keyboard player and he said there are more keys so I am very happy :D :D :D

Cause when you said prog I just was not sure. Dragonlord has feeling and emotion in their music, Dream Theater are great musicians but their music has no feeling in it whatsoever. It is just technical. No fun. Hail the Dragonlord's!

That is the one thing I hate about prog and some of its fans. They think they are so eilte and look down on you. I remember talking with one, I had my Dimmu Borgir shirt on (one of my favorite bands) and he was insulting me because they are not ultra technical. Well, for one thing, Mustis can play keyboards wonderfully and "technically." They act like they are ahead because their music is more technical, yet there is no emotion or feeling. Bands like Dragonlord, Dimmu Borgir, Evergrey...all have emotion and feeling, tons of it. So who really is ahead? Us.

DT is a lot like 40 seconds of the best riffs ever laid out, followed by guest appearances from Air Supply. I really want to like to them but they don't have enough metal 'hooks' for me.

Dream Theater prog is not cool, IMHO.

Thrasher.