circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Threat Signal – Rational Eyes
Gomek Records – Gomek002 – 2005
By Jason Jordan

threatsignal-untitled_150.jpg

Fear Factory peaked with Demanufacture, even though their subsequent albums were good. Of course Digimortal and Transgression stained an otherwise unblemished discography, but on the whole, the Californians are generally a safe bet. Nonetheless, in lieu of FF’s fuck-ups, meet Threat Signal – a band that clones the Fear Factory sound, circa Demanufacture, and plays it with Meshuggah-esque tenacity and prowess. If you’re willing to discard that unavoidable craving for originality – for seventeen minutes – then take a stab at these Rational Eyes.

As it stands, Threat Signal hail from Canada, and have tapped into whatever liquid it is that allows Canadians to excel at music. In fact, despite this being their first demo, the group has already fallen into a big, fat stinky pile of success because Nuclear Blast scooped ‘em up for European distribution. They also recorded their upcoming full-length – Under Reprisal – with none other than producer Christian Ole Wolbers. Unsurprisingly, “Rational Eyes” borrows that trademark Fear Factory approach, nearly replicating the Demanufacture genes to a tee. Howard emulates Meshuggah’s Kidman by utilizing similar gruff devilry, which the former pairs with melodic, elongated shouts not unlike those of Burton C. Bell. “One Last Breath” is intriguing insomuch as its guitar leads are reminiscent of ones played by the fallen Dimebag Darrell (ex-Pantera, ex-Damageplan). And I like “A New Beginning” and “Inane” too, though not quite as much as the others. By the way, with a title like Rational Eyes, wasn’t I doomed to think about Meshuggah from the start? You know, “Rational Gaze”? Nothing? Never mind, I give up.

Contrary to what you might think, Threat Signal have crafted a demo using fine production values. I have no complaints other than the obvious lack of uniqueness, which doubles as a thorn in the side of Rational Eyes. Still, Fear Factory and Meshuggah adorers take note, cause this mob is evidently bent on some kind of destruction. Hell, they’re probably better than one of the two bands I just mentioned, and don’t forget to download this from Gomek Records. It’s free, plus it comes with interviews, liner notes, wallpaper, and Wal-Mart coupons.

7.5/10

Official Threat Signal Website
Official Gomek Records Website