Threshold

edgeofthorns

24 Hours Ago...
Jan 2, 2005
City beneath the surface
Not that I'm some spokesperson for the Melodic Rock website, but I do put a great deal of weight on their opinions. With that said, the site owner has given the new Threshold disc a slammin' review! Actually, he's compared it with DT's Awake, so that sparked an interest with me. Due to his analysis I'm now going to check Threshold's new effort out. If you want to read what he has to say about it, then log onto www.melodicrock.com and go to the reviews section.

~Brian~

Tim Henderson (Editor of Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles) was equally praiseworthy and compared it to "Images & Words." I can now safely say it is my favorite Threshold disc now and the full version of "Pilot in the Sky of Dreams" is my #1 song of the year so far.

I said it after hearing it the first time, this is probably Threshold's best effort so far. Totally looking forward to their set! :headbang:
Seconded!

Tim Henderson (Editor of Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles) was equally praiseworthy and compared it to "Images & Words." I can now safely say it is my favorite Threshold disc now and the full version of "Pilot in the Sky of Dreams" is my #1 song of the year so far.

I'll check his review out as well. I loved Subsurface, but there's so much stuff I want to buy that the new one wasn't a priority. That's all changed, because it's now at the top of my list. :headbang:

~Brian~

I only trust 2 opinions... one is on the right side of my head and the other is on the left... I am going to listen to the new Threshold right now... I don't expect it to be as good as HYPOTHETICAL (my favorite) but regardless I cant wait to see them live!!!

IMO Hypothetical is their best & most progressive release. Definitely their shining moment. Comparisons of the new one to DT's Awake is laughable...to I&W is sacrilege. l'm a big fan of Threshold & l like Dead Reckoning...a distinct improvement over Subsurface...it definitely has some great material on it. It's just not their best to date.

I have listen to it about four times now and nothing is really jumping out at me... granted all of their releases have taken time to grow on me but I feel a little underwhelmed at the moment. "Slipstream" is good, "Pilot in the Sky of Dreams" and "Fighting for Breath" are good as well... It is not a bad release at all, I still like HYPOTHETICAL and CRITICAL MASS better though...

I think he's ripping on that site you praised, but with Zod who can tell.
LOL.

Zod, I'm not sure how to take your comment. What are you saying?
Yeah... as Britt said, I was just being a bit sarcastic. You mentioned that you put a great deal of weight on their opinions, and I said I could see why, given they scored the new Night Ranger a 94/100.

Zod

I think the new disc is great. Here's what my review in shaping up like for Metal Asylum.net. I want to hear your feedback.

England’s Threshold (this their eighth studio album), combine equal parts of big arena rock type hooks and vocal harmonies with progressive passages and changes to, in a way, create their own sound and add some spice to the progressive genre.
With a first listen to opening track “Slipstream” and its catchy melody, driving riffs and solid rhythm section (the track also includes a couple properly placed deep vocal growls for effect) I had a feeling the rest of the disc was gonna be good. Thankfully I was not wrong. Vocalist Andrew "Mac" McDermott reminds at times of those early 80’s arena rock singers from bands like Boston, Foreigner, and Journey where the voice takes center stage of the recording and the music behind it really brings out tone and emotion.
“Pilot in the Sky of Dreams” is really a gem, clearly a highlight on the record and may be hot on the heels Dream Theater set on “Images and Words” given its level of both dynamics and musicianship. Well let me re phrase that, Threshold are on the level as far as talented players yes but not nearly as intricate or acrobatic as DT’s usual fare. The track begins as a ballad and effortlessly morphs into a progressive energetic rocker. Excellent excellent stuff that sounds fresh and inspiring. Really I love when I find a band that can write songs that are not only memorable but equally challenging and interesting musically.
“Fighting for Breath” follows with a darker more aggressive riffing pattern, lead breaks are sick, even those keyboards are a bit ominous and has a bit of a different energy than the rest of the tracks. “Disappear” is also a strong rocker, a bit more contemporary with a Disturbed like drum beat carrying the rhythm and solid as hell, I like the variety this one provides. “This is Your Life” also carries that more rhythmic drum pattern as do the guitar riffs akin to Disturbed. You get a little dual guitar leads here also. “Safe to Fly” is misleading with an almost balladesque chorus yet heavy and dark in parts.
No two songs sound the same and I found myself waiting to hear what was next in each arrangement.
After listening to the whole disc, Threshold I put up there with similar younger hopefuls Circus Maximus and Stride as all three bands effortlessly combine arena rock chorus’ with excellent musicianship, taking progressive metal into the future and maybe out of just the diehard prog listener’s heart into more mainstream ears.

I just picked up the new Threshold as well. F - tastic. The world went on for too long without a new Threshold album. Some sort of balance has just been restored.

Now once, Rush releases that new album... :)

The Michael