circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Tierra Santa – Apocalipsis
Locomotive Music – LM166 – March 15th, 2005
By Jason Jordan

tierrasanta.jpg

I was on my way to work, and pissed off to boot. Ironically, when I merged onto the Interstate, I cut someone off without even knowing it. I then watched her speed up behind me, get into the other lane, and pull up beside my car. I was ready. I lifted the Apocalipsis album to show her what I was listening to, while the vocals of the Spanish-speaking Tierra Santa reverberated within my car. The funny thing is: I had no idea why I showed the roadrage-hindered woman the record. She probably thought it was some cryptic message. But, after completing my listening session, I wished the window had been open so that maybe, just maybe, the wind would’ve picked it up and carried it a few feet before ultimately thrusting it into the ground.

Interestingly enough, Tierra Santa aren’t that bad. The band is just boring. Musicianship – though nothing extraordinary – is adequate, the compositions are succinct, and the vocalizations are iterated in the group’s native tongue, which means that the drawbacks are immediately obvious. Unless you’re versed in Spanish, the lyrics/vox will mean nothing to you. I took Spanish classes (in high school and college), so when I hear the language put to music, I just have to laugh. Also, the cover art is terrible, and if you simply must have a comparison, then I suppose the band’s labelmates Circus are somewhat similar. The music treads the progressive rock line by utilizing keyboards, familiar guitar crunches, and other requisite elements.

Admittedly, Tierra Santa are catchy, but that’s about all they have in their hand. Even if they play their cards well, Apocalipsis will be a small blip on the musical radar. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m gonna go listen to Crowpath.

6/10

Official Tierra Santa website
Official Locomotive Music website