Tierra Santa - Cominos De Fuego - Spanish Maiden Metal

Fire breath

Feb 20, 2002
London
piris-metalopolis.blogspot.com
Spain's most famous and probably best Spanish language band returns to the fray again. They've got umpteen albums under their belts and they know what they are doing that's for sure. They are still pretty strongly influenced by Maiden but they used to be even more so in their earlier albums. Here is a typical TS galloping track in the Maiden vein.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mkbotoi8ii4&feature=related[/ame]

Another strong galloping song.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8doFK0Y7omw&feature=related[/ame]

Great band indeed.
I have one of their albums somewhere.
As you said, they have so many, I couldn't even begin to recall what the name of it is.

Agreed, no other way to classify them other than as "The Spanish Iron Maiden" I am sure they would not argue such a statement!

Yeah they are a Spanish legend in metal circles and I read somewhere even some non-metal music fans in Spain know about Tierra Santa. Actually looking at metal archives I can see that this is their 8th album in 13 years. As I recall, my fave from them is called Sangre De Reyes from back in 2001 which is the first time i ever heard the band and though wow these guys are great. Their previous album in 2006 was actually their worst as I remember not liking it much. It seems the band split for a short period in 2008 only to return stronger now with Caminos De Fuego which sounds pretty enjoyable judging by these 2 songs and most of the album is on youtube as well. Here is the title track from Sangre De Reyes. Such a cool Maiden worship tune.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I knew someone would say Mago de Oz! I have never really been able to get into MdO for some reason. They are too folky for me whilst TS is straight melodic metal which is more to my liking. By the way I would class Saratoga as better than MdO as well and pretty equal with TS. Anyway those three bands are holding up the flag of Spanish heavy metal for countless years. I also like Sphinx a lot and their Paraiso en la Eternidad album is probably my fave Spanish language album ever come to think of it.

"Spain's most famous and probably best Spanish language band"

Other than Mago de Oz of course.

:lol: Seriously....

Tierra Santa is pretty cool though. It took me a while to get into Spanish-singing metal bands. Funny fact, considering I am Brazilian and speak fluent Spanish (though I like to remember everyone that in Brazil we speak Portuguese, there are still those who think otherwise).

Any love for Rata Blanca or Avalanch? Avalanch is another really good Spaniard band, while Rata Blanca is fun (even though they're from Argentina... :lol: )

I haven't heard them, but I dig Easy Rider, another Spanish band who does the Maiden thing pretty well (and sings a fair amount in English).

Check this one out from Avalanch:

Not necessarily "the Maiden thing" but still very good!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always wanted to see them live. I "discovered" them back in the Napster days, and they got a lot of play from me over the years. I found two more of their albums in a cool shop in NJ, but probably haven't heard anything new from them in 5-6 years. I should check out their newer stuff. Falls into that so many bands, so little time (and money).

Any love for Rata Blanca or Avalanch? Avalanch is another really good Spaniard band, while Rata Blanca is fun (even though they're from Argentina... :lol: )

Avalanch is pretty good for sure. And Rata Blanca too. Their latest album, with the great Doogie White on vox for the English version, is excellent melodic metal stuff, influenced by Rainbow.

Tierra Santa kinda lost me with their latest albums, which were less heavy and not as good as their early stuff. 1999's Legendario and 2001's Sangre De Reyes are their best albums IMO. That being said, I played the new album once and liked it, looks like a good return to form and a step on the right track.