TIM 'RIPPER' OWENS To Guest On New AVANTASIA Album

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
Powerhouse heavy metal singer Tim "Ripper" Owens (JUDAS PRIEST, ICED EARTH, YNGWIE MALMSTEEN, BEYOND FEAR) will guest on the forthcoming album from EDGUY frontman Tobias Sammet's AVANTASIA project.

Commented Tobias: "I had this pretty heavy riff monster and I remembered a JUDAS PRIEST live album with 'the new singer' on vocals. I listened again and when I heard him sing 'Metal Gods' and 'Painkiller', I knew that this was the voice I so desperately needed for the song.

"Tim is a cool guy and a scream machine. He makes his voice spit out the most aggressive high notes I have ever heard while fully controlling it.

"I am so proud of the heaviest metal tune I have written so far, and Tim has turned a good heavy metal song into the ultimate heavy metal monster!"

AVANTASIA's forthcoming album will feature additional guest appearances by Klaus Meine (SCORPIONS), Jorn Lande (MASTERPLAN, ARK, MILLENIUM, VAGABOND, THE SNAKES) and acclaimed drummers Eric Singer (KISS, ALICE COOPER, BLACK SABBATH) and Alex Holzwarth (RHAPSODY OF FIRE, ANGRA, SIEGES EVEN).

Regarding the new AVANTASIA album's musical direction, Sammet recently stated, "We've got quite many songs, and it ranges from epic ballads to metal opera. From pop to hard rock to folk to speed metal. My best friend, who co-wrote the story of 'The Metal Opera' back then, just listened to some of the tracks and he said that it will blow people away and enchant AVANTASIA fans and it will surely piss people off . . . It's just enchanting music. And these days honest and good music is kind of offending to some, that's pretty sick, isn't it? But as long as I get goose bumps hearing majestic music, I do not really care if I am fashionable or not."

I liked the first Avantasia album (the metal opera), but I am totally crazy about "The Scarecrow", so unless Tobias comes with something really weird, I doubt I'll be dissapointed with Jorn, Ripper and Meine among the guests (I hope Sascha Paeth can help again on guitars and production).

Wyv, I agree, I didn't really like Pt 1 and 2 back a decade ago - Edguy was a far better band for my money. But The Scarecrow is a masterpiece (and the accompanying extra tracks).

REALLY looking forward to new Avantasia record.

This is gonna be good to have Ripper on this. Everything I have with him on it is good, Beyond Fear and solo too!

The Scarecrow is impressive IMO so I can't wait for the next one!

:kickass:

Bob Catley (Magnum) has also been confirmed in the new Avantasia album. Bob already contributed in "The Sacrecrow".

And yes Sascha Paeth will be playing guitar and producing the album (hell yeah!)

Tim "Ripper" Owens, ex-Judas Priest vocalist has commented on his collaboration with Tobias for the forthcoming Avantasia epic: "I gotta say, this tune is cool, I'm just glad I came in and saved it! I mean Tobias is ok, but the song needed help, hahaha! I AM KIDDING, man! He sent me the song with him singing and I said: "Holy crap, this is great... What the hell am I gonna do?!" So I just sang like the devil! Thanks buddy, your tune rocks!"
(from TS official website)

OK, just for little detour on the thread. Rate me this producers:

Nordstrom, Paeth, Sneap, Bauerfiend, Z.

OK, just for little detour on the thread. Rate me this producers:

Nordstrom, Paeth, Sneap, Bauerfiend, Z.

I don't know Bauerfriend. I like each of the other 4 producers for other things.

Sneap - incredible drum sound. Very tight mixes. (The only producer who gets a better drum sound [that I like] is Dennis Ward from Pink Cream 69 / Silent Force, etc.)

Nordstrom - The best metal guitar tone of the planet. Can't imagine Dream Evil with a different producer.

Paeth / Roy Z - Very similar productions and styles. Paeth's work has been the better of the two however. Something about Z's productions leaves something in the mix to be desired, but he's still a great producer.

Edit: Ahh the Primal Fear guy - Bauerfiend that is. Yeah, he's really good too. Sort of a happy Niche between Nordstrom and Sneap I'd say. (Fozzy meets Dream Evil)

Edit: Ahh the Primal Fear guy - Bauerfiend that is. Yeah, he's really good too. Sort of a happy Niche between Nordstrom and Sneap I'd say. (Fozzy meets Dream Evil)

Bauerfiend also produced with Roy Z, Hellowen "The Dark Ride" and alone the last three Helloween albums. Also produced with Paeth the first two Angra albums, co-produced the first two Freedom Call albums, last three Blind Guardian albums, last four Hammerfall albums, etc. He also had worked as engineer and mixer.

I forgot Dennis Ward that you mention him, and we can throw in the group Chris Tsangarides and Piet Sielck too.

Now that we are speaking of producers I do miss a lot the great Martin Birch: Iron Maiden, Balck Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult and more. The guy was a genius in the 80's, wondering if he just retired or died :confused:

Now that we are speaking of producers I do miss a lot the great Martin Birch: Iron Maiden, Balck Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult and more. The guy was a genius in the 80's, wondering if he just retired or died :confused:

I know he retired in 1993 or so when Maiden did Fear of the Dark. Dunno if he's still alive. Love the productions he got for Maiden though. I dunno how much of that he was responsible for. Perhaps he was more a George Martin where he worried with the music rather than the technical stuff.

Hellfire was great but there were about 4-5 songs on Rocket Ride that wouldn't have been out of place on Hellifre. Plus, a couple of the goofier songs were really good too - Catch of the Century, Superheroes, Trinidad, etc.

Rocket Ride was a very fun record. It's nice to know they don't take themselves seriously and that not every piece of music they write doesn't have to be opera.

It's nice to know they don't take themselves seriously and that not every piece of music they write doesn't have to be opera.

I'm not a fan of Edguy (yet) but in general terms I believe that if a band wants to not only succeed but survive and appeal the fans they shouldn't take themselves too serious. Sure is a business and music is art, but having the abbility to laugh at yourself, the lyrics, the music itself makes the whole experience much more pleasurable IMO.