Time to change my audio interface ?

xFkx

gain induction
Mar 3, 2008
Poland
www.myspace.com
So two days ago i decided to record the preamp tone from my cobra. For the last 1-2 years i have been only recording clean guitars and toying around with simulations so i didn't have a chance to witness what i've clearly heard yesterday...

ok, the thing is when i use monitoring in my soundcraft mixer the tone is pretty cool (the chain would be cobra->mixer->monitors)

but when i monitor inside the daw (chain would be cobra->mixer->daw->mixer->monitors) the sound is kind'a muffled and more lo-fi..

My audio interface is an audiotrak maya44 mkII

I assume that the loss of quality happens when the signal goes through all the A/D D/A's inside the audiotrak card...

Right now my assumption is that my card sucks tone.. am I right ?

If so, time to get a presonus firestudio ?

I would look at something else beside presonus. I owned 2 firepods and had a lot of problems with the firewire ports being shitty.

I would look at something else beside presonus. I owned 2 firepods and had a lot of problems with the firewire ports being shitty.

I've had a firepod that I've used almost every day for over 5 years. I've never had a problem. I also own another firepod and a firebox which I bought used. They work great. I would go for it.

I've had a firepod that I've used almost every day for over 5 years. I've never had a problem. I also own another firepod and a firebox which I bought used. They work great. I would go for it.

I just had issues with the first gen. They seemed to wiggle out of the ports ridiculously easy. Looking at the new ones the look like they redid them. I actually bought the digimax d8 and firestudio lightpipe. should be here tomorrow.

I've been more than happy with my RME Multiface in my home, it has served me for hmm... almost 5 years now. It doesn't its own preamps tho, but I usually don't track more than one channels at a time and I have my SPL Track One for that purpose. And I also got the SM Pro Audio PR8E just in case I need to track more channels.

I just had issues with the first gen. They seemed to wiggle out of the ports ridiculously easy. Looking at the new ones the look like they redid them. I actually bought the digimax d8 and firestudio lightpipe. should be here tomorrow.

I would agree with that to an extent. My FIrepod's FW ports seem looser than my FP10's, but not to the point where the cable just falls out.

I took a small screwdriver and just bent the grab tabs on the FW ports in a bit so they have a tighter hold now. Works perfect.