Tips for smoother lead tone.

Scott Horner

Scottimus Maximus
I posted this mix a while back but after listening for a bit I would really like a smoother lead tone. Rather than just bumping the old thread and risking a deluge of "old thread is old" responses I started a new one, haha. I've tried compressing, limiting, adding reverb and delay, switching amp sims but nothing sounds much better. As of now I am using the Le456 amp sim. What do you guys do to smooth out your lead tones?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2375427/Shreddz-01.wav

I like it, but you may want to try notching the lead around 6k. It reminds me of btbam, but if you wanna change it go for it haha

I posted this mix a while back but after listening for a bit I would really like a smoother lead tone. Rather than just bumping the old thread and risking a deluge of "old thread is old" responses I started a new one, haha. I've tried compressing, limiting, adding reverb and delay, switching amp sims but nothing sounds much better. As of now I am using the Le456 amp sim. What do you guys do to smooth out your lead tones?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2375427/Shreddz-01.wav

compressing and limiting just makes it harshers sounding, delay and reverb make it a bit smoother sounding.

I like to add a touch of reverb to liven it up, delay to make it sound smoother, and chorus to fatten it up, i get good lead tones with light application of those to a 456.

Thanks for the tips guys! I have a bit of reverb and delay (TAL-Dub II) already on there but I guess not enough to smooth it out. I was concerned that too much would blur it. But then again, I'm using the built in Cubase Roomworks reverb which doesn't sound that great. I just downloaded some of the Lexicon IRs and I also have the Acoustica M7 pack. Perhaps I will try a different reverb. Maybe a nice plate reverb would be appropriate?

Is that the sort of norm for leads? I mean, do most people on here use a whole different amp setup with different eq and gain settings for lead tones or just different verb and delay settings? I have used the same settings at the rhythms but added a little mid and took the highs down a bit to make it not so harsh with more delay and verb. Is that a pretty general thing?