tips on improving my growl

genocide roach

DOOOOOOOOOOM
Aug 18, 2002
so i am working to improve my low DM style growl. my main problem consistancy. i tend to get a little airy. what i want todo is thicken it up and make it bolder like eric rutan or some one else of that talent. so what can you reccomend i do? things that have seemed to help are cough drops and tea/chia tea. but undoubtably there is also technique reccomendations. it seems like it just doesnt want to come out sometimes. it takes a lil bit of airy time before it comes out.

here is a recording of me havin this same problem: www.mp3.com/genocide_roach (this isnt my band, but a band i was apart of in this summer program called stairway to stardom in sacramento california)
~gR~

I always seem to need a bit of adrenaline before i start screaming (i know it's different from growling but they are similar in some ways, of course). I hit myself in the face a few times o_O, seriously! it makes me scream a the roof off!

Smoke lots of weed... I don't do it myself but I've noticed that it seems to work wonders on a person's voice when it comes to death metal growls.

weed is out. hehehe, not my thang. plus i would imagine the smoke would dry out my throat and therefor making things worse
~gR~

Do what Dead of Mayhem did. He put a dead crow in a sac and let it decompose in the ground. Before performing he inhaled the rotten scent of the crow. That would de the trick...

Uhh... But he did commit suicide, lol.

i thought it was a dead rat. hehehe

dem mayhem guys are fucked up

i'll try the honey thing, thanks
~gR~

*points at picture in my sig*

i cant cup the mic, i play bass too. and cupping the mic sucks ass

what would you have me do? rap? HAH! never
~gR~

Add your own personal style to it.

Take aspects that you like from other vocalists (that you can do), and be creative. I don't know anything about how to sing DM vocal styles, but if you want to be truly original, drinking honey isn't going to help.

Also, use the search, I remember there was a good thread on this subject.

Watch plenty of Sesame Street reruns. Just joking. ^___^ In all seriousness, sing all of the time, but stop when your throat starts to hurt. The vocal chords are no different than say a guitar in the respect that the more you play, the better you get.
The vocal chords are different than a guitar in the fact that if you abuse it and destroy it, you can buy a new guitar. but not a new set of larynx (vocal chords). Practice and strengthen your vocal chords but don't abuse them.

Bryant

I'm trying to improve my growls too and i have asked some singers too.
The answer is : Practise !!
The more you do it, the better it gets....that's it...

By the way, now im listening to your band in mp3.com . This isn't growls man...the problem i had, was that my brutal vocals weren't loud.Now they are fucking loud, you must SCREEEEAAAMMMM, LOUD !!!
AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!! :headbang: