To those who like "Waking Life" ...

Chromatose

Squid pro quo
Apr 5, 2002
Maryland
... check out the movie "Slacker." One of Richard Linklater's older films. Though I would say Slacker is less philosophical, and lacking in any real plot, it has a very similar feel to Waking Life, and I even recognized some actors from that movie in it as well.

Its an interesting concept for a film. I only caught parts of it here and there, but it seems to me it consists of the camera following someone around as they go about their day, until they interact with someone, then when they're done the camera begins following the other person, and shows their interaction with someone else, then on to that person, and so on, constantly flowing ...

I also want to add that without James Joyce, Linklater's movies would not be what they are. I sense a huge Joyce influence, "Slacker" being very reminiscent of "Ulysses" and "Waking Life" being his equivalent of "Finnegans Wake."

So go read some James Joyce ..

I've never gotten a chance to read Dubliners, but I'd say if you wanted to get into Joyce, Portrait Of The Artist... would be a great place to start. Joyce isn't for everyone though, if you didn't like the style of Dubliners, then you may not get into his other works, either. 'Ulysses' can be a tough read, and as for 'Finnegans Wake'... heh, I guess you'd have to pick it up yourself, I wouldn't even know where to start in describing it. People spend years trying to make sense of FW, and I doubt anyone ever will understand it fully.

Peter_rejecting_meatloaf.JPG

Lord Foul said:
Dick was a bigger nutjob than Hubbard, if such a thing is possible. Thankfully, he was a much better writer as well. I'll take Vonnegut any day of the week though.

definitely. the following taken from amazon.com:

Mind- and reality-bending drugs factor again and again in Philip K. Dick's hugely influential SF stories. A Scanner Darkly cuts closest to the bone, drawing on Dick's own experience with illicit chemicals and on his many friends who died from drug abuse. Nevertheless, it's blackly farcical, full of comic-surreal conversations between people whose synapses are partly fried, sudden flights of paranoid logic, and bad trips like the one whose victim spends a subjective eternity having all his sins read to him, in shifts, by compound-eyed aliens. (It takes 11,000 years of this to reach the time when as a boy he discovered masturbation.) The antihero Bob Arctor is forced by his double life into warring double personalities: as futuristic narcotics agent "Fred," face blurred by a high-tech scrambler, he must spy on and entrap suspected drug dealer Bob Arctor. His disintegration under the influence of the insidious Substance D is genuine tragicomedy. For Arctor there's no way off the addict's downward escalator, but what awaits at the bottom is a kind of redemption--there are more wheels within wheels than we suspected, and his life is not entirely wasted.

Lord Foul said:
Dick was a bigger nutjob than Hubbard, if such a thing is possible. Thankfully, he was a much better writer as well. I'll take Vonnegut any day of the week though.

no he wasn't, he was just on more drugs.