Todesbonden – Sleep Now, Quiet Forest

genocide roach

DOOOOOOOOOOM
Aug 18, 2002
Todesbonden – Sleep Now, Quiet Forest
Prophecy – PRO 092 – 4 June 2008
By Ryan Starr

51QYDurZGrL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Sleep Now, Quiet Forest may be the hidden gem of the year. Todesbonden get a lot all of negative press, because they are another female fronted melodic metal band, and it really isn’t justified. To associate Todesbonden with the likes of Lacuna Coil, Leaves Eyes, and Evanescence is an outrage and I would hope my readers can see through this bogus connection.

For starters, Todesbonden are incredibly dark and gloomy, with a huge doom influence. I’m hesitant to label them as 100% doom though, because there is a lot more going on. The use of acoustic instruments takes them beyond your typical metal band. Sure, lots of metal bands have acoustic songs, but not like this. The technique is reminiscent of centuries old “classical” compositions. Actually, this technique is found throughout this debut, but is most evident in acoustic tracks like 'Flow My Tears'. There is yet another layer to the music though. A fanciful folky charm is hidden throughout, like mythical faeries veiled by dew laced leaves.

This mélange of styles gives rise to a brilliant fantasia, something that shouldn’t be ignored. This is without a doubt one of my top ten releases of the year. So if you’re tired of typical angry metal, I definitely recommend Sleep Now, Quiet Forest.

Official Todesbonden Website
Official Todesbonden Myspace
Official Prophecy Website

This album rules! I do miss some of the doomier qualities they had in the EP, but I read in one interview that their next album will be even doomier then this album.

With that said, this is one of the best albums I have bought in the past couple of years.

Like most reviewers I too am so sick of all of these gothic female fronted metal bands and I read a few reviews that compare them to Nightwish. Come on people, they sound nothing like Nightwish. It is obvious that people cannot discern one band the moment they have a female singer.

This music is a lot more mature then anything out there now.