Tommy Vance

Andy Sneap

Metal Guru
Apr 17, 2002
at home
andysneap.com
It saddened me yesterday to learn of the death of Tommy Vance.
For those of you outside the UK, Tommy was the voice of Heavy Metal for years over here mainly with the Friday Rock Show on BBC Radio One. I can honestly say, as I’m sure many can, that I probably wouldn’t be in the music business now if it hadn’t been for both Tommy Vance and Tony Wilson at Radio One.
It was back in Jan 87 when my phone rang and I had Tommy quizzing me about my old band Sabbat just after we’d recorded the session for the Friday Rock Show. All we’d done by that time was a £10 demo, but they both liked it enough to give us a break.
I used to listen to the Friday Rock Show religiously, taping all the good bits and it was a surreal experience when this voice that was so familiar to the general British public was on the other end of the line.
Off the back of this, we got signed, saw the world, did the band thing and I ended up taking the more sensible route of production.
Thankfully, I got the chance to thank Tommy in person for his belief and support in helping us (and many others) take our first steps within the music world.
Friday nights were never the same after Tommy left the Rock Show and I genuinely feel we’ve lost another great pioneer of the British music scene. It puts a smile on my face thinking of him taking on 80000 people at Donington, wearing a crash helmet ,dodging the mud and missiles to announce the bands. He was a true believer in metal and his passing is a very sad loss indeed. :headbang:

Sounds a bit like our equivalent, Andrew Haug. I never knew about Tommy Vance or what he did before this but it certainly sounds like the metal community took a loss here and that I'm sorry to hear.

That's really sad. He was such a cool guy with his shades and chilled demeanour.. he had such a distinct voice and personality, and always had this "Tommy Vance" coolness to him no matter what shows or what bands he was presenting.

Wow.. didn't know he was such a crucial link for you Andy. But that's really cool to know. Like it's the knock-on effect of cool people who believe in music. Everytime I flicked on VH1 and saw him, I was looking at the guy who helped give Sneap a hand to get to where he is today.

His legacy will live on

Tommy Vance R.I.P.