Toms cutting, gating or leave em

You usually....

• Total voters

Force666

Sep 12, 2007
I usually cut all the bleed in the tom mics out. On a recording I recently did I used gates on the toms. Not totally stoked on it though. There's odd hits here and there that the gate closes too fast and chops off the transient tail. So Just wondering, what do you guys usually do?

I cut and fade on the tails long enough to ring before you notice the rest of the kit coming in. As much as I like ambiance, my experience with drum track are that letting the tom mics on for ambiance results in really harsh cymbals as they tend to pickup cymbals the most, and most of the time, not in a good way.

I used to cut em all up, now I gate but check the tracks and manually edit out bleed where I think it will interfere with the gate. I usually end up manually editing about half the tracks and being happy enough with the gates on the others.
Depends on the project and level of bleed though, had a drummer that wouldn't let me raise his cymbals a few inches so had to compromise with a less ideal mic placement with more bleed so had to do alot more manual work on that one.

Automation.

What kind of automation? Just mute on/off?

The reason I ask, for myself it seems like taking the time to write those automations could just be spent cutting the tracks. Which I would say at most takes about 3 full passes through the song playing for me.

I hate the time it takes to cut, but I also hate setting a gate and making sure no odd cymbal hits are let through. I basically just hate toms :lol:

I usually use a gate and hand check any parts that have large transients that are not toms. If it gets let through, I cut that one part out.

I usually cut, but just be careful, sometimes cutting can take away from the overall drum sound. Sidechaining to triggers works really really well aswell.