Too much bass?

outbreak525

Jun 15, 2010
Well I got the benefit of being able to record and produce the same band that did the infamous Fireflies cover on YouTube ...

And here's a clip of one of their new songs without the lead guitar or vocals, just rhythm bass and drums. I would like to know if I have the bass too loud here. I was actually able to get a nasty tone out of Pod Farm so I got excited and made that shit loud haha.

Lemme know.

http://soundcloud.com/anthonyhildebrandt/aoes

i dont think its as much the bass being loud but the guitars being way too low. bring those guitars up a good bit and i would bump 6-7k on your master buss. just sounds a little muffled. other than that sounds pretty solid! dig the drum tones as well

definitely sounds better! try dragging a little out of the 500hz range on your master EQ. id say between 2-3db's to clean it up a little bit and download GClip to put at the end of your master buss to make things louder. what are your compression settings on your master and are you using a limiter? if you could get it a good 3 db louder or so (or at least -10 to -8 RMS) this track would be bangin my friend!

It's reading an average of -7 RMS on my Pod Farm!
And unfortunately that's the final master, the track is already out for download on mediafire and stuff
I should post things here BEFORE releasing them haha
Thanks for digging this!

Pod farm cant read RMS im pretty sure :erk: In most cases you have to download a RMS reading plugin. i use cubase 5, and all i have to do is once i export it down, make a new project, import the song then go to audio>statistics. and it gives you the max RMS power, the lowest, and the average RMS which should be anywhere between -8 and -10. i would say yours is probably around -12 or -13. simply putting gclip on the end of your mastering buss can get it closer to -10 at least though, as well as using a limiter under your master compressor :headbang:

Pod farm cant read RMS im pretty sure :erk: In most cases you have to download a RMS reading plugin. i use cubase 5, and all i have to do is once i export it down, make a new project, import the song then go to audio>statistics. and it gives you the max RMS power, the lowest, and the average RMS which should be anywhere between -8 and -10. i would say yours is probably around -12 or -13. simply putting gclip on the end of your mastering buss can get it closer to -10 at least though, as well as using a limiter under your master compressor :headbang:

My UX2 has an RMS meter right on it!