TOOL's ADAM JONES, DANNY CAREY Explain New Album Delay

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
TOOL guitarist Adam Jones and drummer Danny Carey have revealed to RollingStone.com that the band has more than enough musical ideas for a new studio album, including one track that is nearly complete. The song in question is at least 10 minutes long and it "goes through lots of changes and it's got really heavy elements," according to Carey."Sometimes I feel we get a little too proggy or too into exploring time signatures but not getting heavy enough for my taste," Jones says. "There are some good nose-bleeding riffs happening, and I'm really happy about that. It's not out-of-the-gate crazy heavy, but there are these little journeys with nice paths that end up very heavy.""It's all a little more 'metal' sounding, if I may," Carey adds. "I'm having fun drumming on it. There is one other song [beyond the 10-minute tune] that I would say is pretty much there. It's another one that's pretty gnarly with some good double-kick [drumming] going on in it."Part of the reason TOOL hasn't released a studio album since 2006's "10,000 Days" is the fact that the band has been embroiled in a lawsuit with a former associate who claimed that he had created artwork for the group for which he did not get credit. The matter got more complicated when an insurance company that TOOL hired to defend it against lawsuits sued the band over technicalities regarding the case. The band then filed a countersuit, and the case is now scheduled to go to trial in January."I'm hoping that we have something really solid recorded by the end of the year," Carey says about TOOL's new album plans. "But we'll see how it goes. I thought that last year, too. But we're making great progress. We've really knocked out a lot of good things, especially over the last month. We're all excited about it.""It's not good when it's done, it's done when it's good," Jones adds. "We've been working at our own pace, but we don't want to put out something and go, 'This song's fine, just put it out.' I'm never gonna put something out where later, I go, 'Fuck, I wish we hadn't done that.' We're just not going to settle for doing anything but our best work, and the fans appreciate that."

More...