Top 10 Metal Albums of 2016

Nov 23, 2002
- first place in your rankings gets 10 points, 2nd gets 9, etcetc, 10th gets 1.
- feel free to post more than 10, but only the top 10 will get points.
- feel free to post less than 10, the same scoring will apply.
- feel free not to rank your picks, in which case all ten picks will get 5.5 points.
- if you're so much of a dick that you have to post more than 10 unranked picks, i'll work out the mathS. basically there's no way you can sabotage this so fuck you!
- these threads are always more interesting/useful if you give some kind of reason for/description of your choices, so feel free to do that also!

i'll tally up the votes on... let's say new year's day, maybe a bit later if someone requests an extension. you can edit your lists up to that point.

i may start doing these for past years too if people are interested, have a master-thread of GMD consensus yearly lists, a bit like the hall of fame.

I can only manage a top five at the moment. I need to spend more time with a bunch of other stuff. Doubt this will change, though.

1. Panphage - Drengskapr
2. Panphage / Þul - Ginnheilagr
3. Mortem - Deinós Nekrómantis
4. Blood Incantation - Starspawn
5. Dead Congregation - Sombre Doom

Reactions: CiG
Thanks. I won't have all 47 thoroughly listened to obviously but it'll get me time to listen to 10-15 of them so I can GET a Top 10 formulated heh.

There are 4-5 that will already be in my list, but I don't know about the others.

I'd like to know which 47 you bought but you probably don't want to type all that out. Maybe a photo?

btw i didn't cover this but yeah i don't mind if people wanna pick EPs or demos or splits or whatever.

I'll copy and paste my list from the 2016 thread here then, I spent the better part of a day digging through my listening for the year to make it. It's in order too, Vektor being best:

Vektor - Terminal Redux
Exmortus - Ride Forth
Counter-World Experience - Pulsar
Paradox - Pangaea
Warfect - Scavengers
Droids Attack - Sci-Fi Or Die
Watchtower - Concepts of Math
Hemotoxin - Biological Enslavement
Riftwalker - Green & Black
Condition Critical - Extermination Plan
Megadeth - Dystopia
Veiled in Sorrow - s/t
Artillery - Penalty by Perception
Ripper - Experiment of Existence
Allegaeon - Proponent for Sentience

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLX61tYO3oEFekzi6OUxbW1_6oBxEJn-z6

Last edited:
Reactions: Sirjack
I'd like to know which 47 you bought but you probably don't want to type all that out. Maybe a photo?

I made an Excel spreadsheet at work today. I'll post it tmw.

2 were local releases, 1 was an EP, one a compilation and then a reissue so really 42 releases from well knowns.

1. Brymir - Slayer of Gods (If anyone wants, check this album out. Finnish Melodic Death Metal with some Black Metal Influence mixed in, there are some killer riffs I must say. I had this shit on repeat pretty much ever since I heard the album in it's entirety.)
2. Periphery - III: Select Difficulty
3. Amon Amarth - Jomsviking
4. Primal Fear - Rulebreaker
5. Megadeth - Dystopia
6. Rhapsody of Fire - Into the Legend
7. Suidakra - Realms of Odoric
8. Veiled in Sorrow - Veiled in Sorrow
9. Whispered - Metsutan: Songs of the Void
10. Whitechapel - Mark of the Blade

I just got a ton of albums from all the top lists different publications are listing so I need some time to digest them. So far, a tentative list would probably include Ihsahn, Bloodiest, Harakiri for the Sky, Thrawsunblat, Khemmis, Schammasch, Thranenkind, The Vision Bleak, Saor, and Alcest but that could entirely change.