Top Ten Albums of 2006!

i think the drummer of Ahab is shaky at times, but kudos for funeral doom attempt anno 2006

in 2006 i liked:

Tim Hecker - Harmony In Ultraviolet
Damien Rice - 9
The Gathering - Home
Mastodon - Blood Mountain
ISIS - In The Absence Of Truth
Enslaved - RUUN
Converge - No Heroes
Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance
Cult Of Luna - Somewhere Along The Highway

honorable mentions:
Kayo Dot - Dowsing Anemone With Copper Tongue
The Mars Volta - Amputechture
My Dying Bride - A Line Of Deathless Kings
Sikth - Death Of A Dead Day

here's a cool top 50 albums list from the friend of mine:
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=65754648&blogID=205402582&MyToken=f9090961-6c4b-4323-b40f-94f353d8db3e

I heard a new converge song "no more heros" and it was prolly the worst thing i've ever heard and not even music. The vocalist should be shot straight into the sun becuase he is the worst vox in history. for the record afi is very bad too.

i think the drummer of Ahab is shaky at times, but kudos for funeral doom attempt anno 2006

Well, they use a session drummer, so that could be part of it.

And actually, the more I listen to this, the higher it climbs. i think this might be my number two for the year.

also what with isis? you tour with tool and all the sudden people think you are god(ie. crappy meshuggah.) what a boring band, every song sounds the same, bad vocals. can someone tell me? i'm giving there new cd a shot but so far it sounds like everything else they have done.

p.s. not trying to piss people off, just wondering

Daylight Dies - Dismantling Devotion
Enslaved - Ruun
Moonspell - Memorial
Amorphis - Eclipse
SYL - The New Black
Threat Signal - Under Reprisal
Poisonblack - Lust Stained Despair
Theatre Of Tragedy - Storm
The Haunted - The Dead Eye

also what with isis? you tour with tool and all the sudden people think you are god(ie. crappy meshuggah.) what a boring band, every song sounds the same, bad vocals. can someone tell me? i'm giving there new cd a shot but so far it sounds like everything else they have done.

p.s. not trying to piss people off, just wondering

Well, I like Meshuggah too, though I liked Isis before they toured with Tool. I don't know that I can really explain it, though I do think the new one is not quite as good as previous. I have seen lots of complaints from Tool fans about 'bad singing', but I think to believe that is to miss the point. He's not really trying to sing, so much as have clean vocals, I guess you might say smoother than his harsh. The point is not to sing like Maynard or something. It's almost like another instrument (Turner himself has said as much), and for the most part are pretty well behind the music. And the thing that first hooked me on Isis was the, well, I can't really describe it. Its just something about the songs. I think on the surface they do "all sound the same" but I think that such a generalization is to completely miss what they are about. To me the songs are almost beautiful, with amazing development and progression.
(crappy meshuggah :rolleyes: )

Anyway, I can't really describe why I like them, they just have this quality to them. One of my favorite bands, and Panopticon is one of my favorite albums of all time. So yeah.

At any rate, they are definitely not for everyone, and I can see why some people would dislike them.

yeah, it is more about moods and overall atmospheres than songs with singing shiny choruses etc.

actually, the first oceanic spin i had was after two or three beers, with headphones at 3 am. i sank in a kind of slumberish mood half through the album, but when the opening riff in hym started, suddenly i was like "holy shit" and wide awake, still laying on the floor.

i believe that all the people that don't get isis hate all this hype aroud them lately, but my personal opinion is that they deserve more audience, cos they simply are different. and good.

I dont care whether bands are different or whatever. I plain like to listen to the musical landscape Isis create. The sheer moodswings and cool rhythms they create mean a lot more to me than the supposed meanings and whatever in Tools music.

for me Panopticon is THE Isis album, and if I listen to Tool I always put on Lateralus. The difference is that I like the other Isis cds as well while new and older Tool bores me, excluding the greatness that is "Sober" of course.

1. Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance and Deliberation Ep.
2. Madder Mortem - Desiderata.
3. Daylight Dies - Dismantling Devotion.
4. Samael - Era one.
5. The Gathering - Home.
6. Napalm Death - Smear Campaign.
7. Amorphis - Eclipse.
8. Dismember - The God That Never Was.
9. Amber Tears - Revelations of Renounced.
10. Cult of Luna - Somewhere Along The Highway.

P.S: Also good been: Sinister -Afterburner, God Amongs Insects - Zombienomicon, Green Carnation - Acoustic verses.

ænima for life son!

heh. I'm not even gonna argue about tool vs. isis since you can tell isis is hugely influences by tool on their latest cd especially. tool>>>>>>>>>>>>>>bottomless pit>>>>>isis. end of story.

Wormphlegm - Tomb of the Ancient King
Dolorian - Voidwards
Madder Mortem - Desiderata
Novembre - Materia
Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain
Muse - Black Holes and Revelations
Nightbringer/Serpentinam - split 10"
Mirrorthrone - Carriers of Dust
Nortt - Ligfærd

Also...

Boris - PINK