circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Total Fucking Destruction – Zen and the Art of Total Fucking Destruction
Translation Loss – TL20-2 – April 3, 2007
By Jason Jordan

tfdz.jpg

Translation Loss isn’t exactly known for grindcore, but with Total Fucking Destruction that’s what you get, which isn’t too surprising since Hoak (Brutal Truth) is in the ranks. However, because most of Zen and the Art of Total Fucking Destruction is good, it’s strange that TFD delivered 10 electric tunes and four acoustic ones to arrive at the disc’s 27-minute length. There’s also a nine-song concert – recorded at a house party in their hometown of Philadelphia – that features live renditions of songs that appear on the album, naturally, as well as a few that don’t. So yeah, this is essentially a bittersweet release, mainly due to the way they chose to present the material.

Anyone familiar with grind knows the keywords that can be used when describing such music: short, fast, intense, abrasive. The 10 tracks here – including a cover of Terrorizer’s ‘Enslaved by Propaganda’ – are over before you know it, but the four acoustic last longer. Sadly, ‘Bio-Satanic Terroristic Attack,’ ‘Kill the Jocks and Eat Their Brains,’ and ‘Nihilism, Emptiness, Nothingness, Nonsense’ are bothersome as a result of lyrical repetition. The 10-minute video contains a handful of tracks that aren’t on Zen – those being ‘Non-existence of the Self,’ ‘Grindcore Salesman,’ ‘Trilogy on the History of Strongmanism,’ ‘Seth Putnam Is Wrong About a Lot of Things but Seth Putnam Is Right About You,’ and ‘Anyone but Me.’ The electric versions of ‘Nihilism, Emptiness, Nothingness, Nonsense’ and ‘Kill the Jocks and Eat Their Brains’ are definitely superior to their acoustic alternatives.

What would’ve worked best for Total Fucking Destruction, in my opinion, is if Zen was a regular, 19-track grind record without the acoustic and video inclusions. It’s cool to see them in a live setting, even if there’s only one camera and the screen goes black before every song, but ultimately any extras are secondary to the audio itself. Perhaps their debut would’ve been worth buying if it was less varied. As it stands now, my Translation Loss fixes come in the form of Neur-Isis emulators Mouth of the Architect and Rosetta. For grind, though, I’ll look elsewhere.

Official Total Fucking Destruction Website
Official Translation Loss Website

I caught TFD on tour with Brutal Truth recently. Very impressive live show... the drummer/frontman (I momentarily forget his name) is an incredible showman. His kit is so sparse that you can pretty much see everything he's doing on the snare. I haven't heard anything they've recorded, but then I opine this kind of grind to translate better live than on record.

I caught TFD on tour with Brutal Truth recently. Very impressive live show... the drummer/frontman (I momentarily forget his name) is an incredible showman. His kit is so sparse that you can pretty much see everything he's doing on the snare. I haven't heard anything they've recorded, but then I opine this kind of grind to translate better live than on record.

The live video is pretty entertaining, so I could definitely see their material being better live than not.

I dug everything until that last acoustic track. That had the same effect on me that grindcore does on folkies...:ill: