circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Totimoshi – ¿Mysterioso?
Crucial Blast Records – CBR46 – August 9th, 2005
By Jason Jordan

mysterioso.jpg

Perhaps the greatest strides Totimoshi have made toward fame is touring with Melvins, and being compared to them. Funnily enough, though, on this record several disparities converge but it’s as if the trio’s attributes were meant to be combined in a such a unique, lively way. And, consequently, this re-release of 2002’s ¿Mysterioso? is nothing less than an edifying piece of music that noticeably leans in an experimental direction.

On this second disc – the first being the self-released Totimoshi – the Californians have thirty-five minutes to present, and most of it tends to be strangely addicting. I know it’s a generalization, but everything about Totimoshi is charismatic, especially Tony Aguilar’s out-of-the-ordinary vocals – he’s not worried about proper enunciation here, people. Throwing in Meg Castellanos’s catchy, rumbling bass lines (most apparent in “Oblivion”) and Zamora’s accessible drumming is like the proverbial frosting on the cake. Zamora played on ¿Mysterioso?, but he’s no longer with the group. Arguably, however, I’m sure the new guy is able to fill his predecessor’s shoes. Plus, as you may have read about in the interview, there are some atypical things lurking about on this album just pining for discovery.

This isn’t fresh material, per se, though ¿Mysterioso? shouldn’t be written off for its age nor for its unconventional content. With tunes like “Float” and “The Bleed,” I fully envision this three-piece doing well in an intimate setting, as the songs demand undivided attention in order to do their bidding. Nevertheless, Totimoshi have a shitload of replay value for the listener who isn’t necessarily grafted to everyday styles of music.

8/10

UltimateMetal’s Interview with Totimoshi
Official Totimoshi Website
Official Crucial Blast Records Website