Tracking headphones

I was actually just looking this up less than an hour ago. I ended up getting these Audio Technica ATH M20's. I didn't care much if they were flat or not since they were just gonna be used for tracking vocalists or guitars.

I've been using Beyer DT-150s. They're a bit on the pricy side but the isolation on them is great so they're ideal for running a click to a drummer or a guitarst with a cranked amp. They're almost invincible and entirely modular so repairs are simple. Might be a better long term investment than some $30 headphones that will be fucked in a few years.

That is entirely dependent on how well you treat your stuff

If the headphones are for tracking then its not going to matter how well you treat them. There are a lot of clumsy or heavy handed musicians out there. One way or another they're going to be subjected to much more wear and tear than other studio gear.

If you want good headphones with good isolation and with good price, I'd suggest you to check out Vic Firth. Really good isolation, with virtually non-existent bleed.

I picked up a pair of Shure SRH-240 for about $60. Not the most durable set, but they seem to have a boosted mid-high end, which lets me KILL a drummer with a click.....

$150 is a bit out of my price range for throw-around phones, I hardly make that much per week.

I plan on buying ATH-M50's for myself, then maybe 3 more cheap musician phones.

What I currently have:
Sennheiser HD280 Pro
- Will use it for musicans when M50's are purchased. These sounded good to me when I bought them years ago, but nowadays they seem like they have absolutely zero bass.

Extreme Isolation
- So the only bleed is the drummers ears

The M20's seem like a good option...

For tracking headphones, I am a fan of the MoreMe's. Cheap as hell since ALL headphones break. They won't win any awards on sound quality, but I actually like the midrange emphasis they have to help focus on details of the performance.

For something cheaper, I am also a fan of these:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/HP-085/STEREO-HEADPHONES/1.html

Or these:

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/PRO-LUXE-HD-2020-/35-455

I gave my MoreMe's away when one of the cables started to go. I have been using the ones above. I haven't formally A/B'd, but they sound similar. They take a beating. The volume knobs save having an external one. Grab some extensions from cablesforless.com, and you are good to go for way cheap.

You can outfit a whole band for under $100.