circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Transmission0 – Memory of a Dream
Candlelight Records – CDL354 – April 24, 2007
By Jason Jordan

transmission0moad.jpg

For one reason or another, the past couple years have seen an influx of Cult of Neur-Isis bands, and while the subgenre isn’t as saturated as others, I’d say it’s becoming more difficult to appreciate. Though the quality often ranges from good to superb, the sound is in danger of wearing a tad thin, if not already so. Despite being a latecomer to Transmission0 since I never heard their debut 0, I have a feeling it would’ve been easier to rave about Memory of a Dream if it’d been released before Cult of Luna’s Somewhere Along the Highway, Isis’s In the Absence of Truth, Minsk’s The Ritual Fires of Abandonment, Mouth of the Architect’s The Ties That Blind, Red Sparowes’s Every Red Heart Shines Toward the Red Sun, and Rosetta’s The Galilean Satellites – a list which doesn’t even include instrumental units such as Del Rey, Pelican, Russian Circles, Tides, and others that share traits with many Neur-Isis followers. Still, if you love this sound and collect records by even the epigones, then MoaD is worth picking up.

I hate that the paragraph above is namedrop city, but it certainly illustrates my point: this style has been thrust at the listener so many times in so many ways that it’s tough to find any uniqueness in Transmission0. However, one can’t deny emotionally moving pieces like Cult of Isis-esque ‘Cocoon,’ ‘Condor,’ and ‘Paracas,’ even if their influences are worn on their sleeves. Somehow these type bands encounter no difficulty composing compelling music that can usually be described as either drifting or crashing – the cover art encapsulating the latter – with typical gruff vocals accompanying. The production is exquisite, but is admittedly par for the course. The keyboards are a nice touch as well, subtly radiating at times, though sometimes not.

Memory of a Dream is covering ground that’s been traversed time and again, but does it so well that I can’t help but be enthralled with its spot-on execution. If you have the cash to spare, Transmission0 will treat you right. Just don’t expect to hear anything remarkably new, or the least bit revolutionary.

Official Transmission0 Website
Official Candlelight Records Website

I agree 100% with that review, but I believe the name is Transmission0 (no space). Am I right? Am I right?

I thought that, too, but evidently they added a space. At least it's spelled that way on all the promo material I received, but the band spell it with no space I guess. Edited it to match the band's spelling. Thanks!