Travis, You Have Competition!

Eyesore

Apr 9, 2002
Boston
www.eyesoretimes.com
I bought Words Untold & Dreams Unlived by Serenity (http://www.serenity-band.com) yesterday. I was positive you'd done this cover:

Serenity.jpg

Nope. Some other dude. The dude over at Seth Design did it. I'm very impressed. You're not longer the man in the kiddie pool! (Which sounds kind of sick, in a way.)

Beautiful.
It's a fact, there's some good designer out there but I think the most important thing is the concept you create. That's why a few people can live from their art.

There's some good designers on neosynthesis.net/, their render and their technique is 'very' Photoshop (textures, light, levels, blending mode...) but the concept is everything, well, its my opinion.

There are a lot of great artists out there, but like I mentioned a long while ago, the lines between styles have been blurred. Like, you used to always usually be able to pick out a Travis Smith piece. Now you can't. Mattias Noren has his style of always splitting colors in half, between a blue/purple and yellow/orange. But now you can't really pick his style out.

But yeah, there are some great artists out there. I'd just like to see more of an individual style stamped on everything.

That'll be somewhat hard to do because lots of these (and me) kind of artists use photograph taken from nature, etc. And a butterfly is going to look like a butterfly no matter how many different ways you photograph it. So this kind of art is just going to lend itself to a certain kind of similarity all the way around.

I don't really think it's all that special. Rather generic, actually.

I generally dislike the digital medium, especially photo manipulation but at least Travis' work has an organic quality to it and is rather original as the medium goes.

Many people became artist with their computer, I mean, these days everybody can be an artist with photoshop. I think natural medias is the bridge betweeen new technologies and old techniques. I heard someone to say that internet and all the new techno stuff cam into our life SO fast that we try to give our digital creations a natural dimension, such using photos and grungy style. Some people say we just entered in a new artistic era...I think we'll know it in 10-15 years.