TRENT REZNOR Talks Inspiration For 'Gone Girl' Score

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
According to The Pulse Of Radio, NINE INCH NAILS mainman Trent Reznor told The Wall Street Journal that director David Fincher asked him to "think about the really terrible music you hear in massage parlors" when writing the score for the new movie "Gone Girl". Fincher corrected him, interjecting, "I said a spa, not a massage parlor!" Reznor added that music at a spa "artificially tries to make you feel like everything's OK… Imagine that sound starting to curdle and unravel."Fincher elaborated, "The movie is about the facade of the good neighbor, the good Christian, the good wife. So the notion was to start with music that's attempting to give you a hug."Reznor told The Pulse Of Radio that writing music for films has not been that difficult since he thinks in visual terms when writing songs as well. "That idea of starting in a visual place has made it kind of easy — I find it hasn't been that much of a struggle to start to think in terms of scoring for picture, because now I have the picture to see instead of me creating it in my head and it's not that far of a stretch in terms of the strategy working here."Reznor, who co-wrote the score with Atticus Ross, recorded the music for the first time with a live orchestra."Gone Girl" is the third Fincher film that Reznor and Ross have composed the score for, following their Oscar-winning work on "The Social Network" and Golden Globe-nominated score for "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo"."Gone Girl" stars Ben Affleck, Neil Patrick Harris and Rosamund Pike and opens on October 3.NINE INCH NAILS just finished a co-headlining summer tour with SOUNDGARDEN.

More...