\m/Misanthropic Hippy\m/
Nov 11, 2001
Ireland
Visit site
Triac - Blue Room
Forcefield/Reptillian Records - FF007/REP102 - May 2008
By Paddy Walsh

02033.jpg

Punishing and filthy grind is what Triac are all about, and this blink-and you'll-miss-it EP (available on both cd and a nicely packaged, limited to 500 copies 7") delivers just that. Opener 'Feeder', being less than 45 seconds long, may give a fairly narrow impression as to what this raging Baltimore 4-piece do best, but Blue Room displays a surprising variety of influences. A core mish-mash of old Napalm Death and the raw as fuck hardcore punk of the likes of Discharge dominates their sound, but 'Shell of a Man' and 'My First Blasphemy' throw up some interesting sludge in the vein of early Corrosion of Conformity. There's also hints of crossover thrash such as D.R.I. and the intensity of powerviolence to be found throughout the seven tracks on offer. Hell, 'In the Blue Room' could even be mistaken for doom if the vocalist wasn't seemingly scraping his throat off a chainsaw. Triac have had the pleasure of releasing spilts with scene-leaders such as Pig Destroyer in the past, and there's a palpable sense of the D.I.Y. hardcore punk scene about them that suits their black and white aesthetic well. Blue Room is as intense and powerful as grind gets, and it gets extra kudos for retaining a searing rawness that's often missing from the bigger names these days. Triac are one nasty outfit, and suffice to say the iconic image of Dennis Hopper from Blue Velvet that graces the cover pretty much sums them up.

Official Triac MySpace
Official Forcefield Records Website
Official Reptillian Records Website