Triggering audio - Live

Aaron Smith

Envisage Audio
Feb 10, 2006
Seattle, WA
I'd like to get one of those rubber Roland trigger pads to have on a stand for my drummer to hit. Easy, I understand what I need there. But, my problem is this: we'll also need to get some kind of "brain" to store audio samples in, and I want to get something that has some type of USB connection or even just some kind of input and "capture mode" to it, so I can load custom audio files/sounds into it from Pro Tools. Preferably something that has a stereo output (and thus input, as well), because the whole system wouldn't be used for percussive drum style hits as much as it would be used for short melodic or sound effect type breaks. I've searched around a bit but I don't really feel that I've found the right "brain" solution yet. I know some guys play to a click with Pro Tools, and all the necessary audio effects play as they sit in the Pro Tools session, but I don't think I want to go quite that far with it. If I already had the Powerbook...then maybe...but I'm hoping that some of you may understand just what I'm looking for and can offer me some insight. Thanks!

errr, how about a sampler...
the drum pads are all midi as far as I know, you don't need to convert any hits into midi (which is what a brain does with acoustic triggers), so you just need something to trigger the sounds from.

hence: akai sampler - cheap and sturdy.

no they are not midi, you need something to convert audio to midi or something like drumagog, but i don't think you can run it on an aux in pro tools and as its rtas, you can't run it whilst a channel is on input. Not on version 6 pts anyway.

Andy Sneap said:
no they are not midi, you need something to convert audio to midi or something like drumagog, but i don't think you can run it on an aux in pro tools and as its rtas, you can't run it whilst a channel is on input. Not on version 6 pts anyway.

ah... right, was thinking of the SPD6... not standard drum pads.

I believe that roland do a low end drumbrain for about £200. it converts your hitting the pad into midi and from there you can add on a sampler or whatever for the actual sounds. (the module only converts audio 'hits' into midi, no samples or sounds at all)