Triple XXX Woes

What I do is Max the eq then cut back on what I don't want. Works really well on My triple xxx, that and a tube screamer and low gain on the amp.

Remeber that the eq is active and thus it boosts after 12.

Yeah I've found this is a good way to work with the XXX aswell. Max your bass mid and treble, then dial back the mid until you're sounding as scooped as you like (normally about 12-2 o clock) and then tweak your bass and treble to taste.

Cobhc, if you're still struggling then it might be best to get the amp looked over by a tech. As you said the XXX's character is similar to that of a 6505, just a bit leaner really. So if you're really struggling to get anything half decent out of it then it could certainly be a tube issue.

I use my XXX with a celestion G12-T75 cab, and I don't really have much fizz/fuzz/buzz/whatever... Quite a difference to my Engl Powerball :)

That doesn't mean I find EQ'ing the damn thing easy...

Shuguang 9th gen preamp tubes and Ruby or JJ power tubes.

FWIW, with the active EQ section I can't help but think with the mids on 0 that it would sound all that good, especially unboosted.

Part of the "Peavey sound" is the grinding mids, and yes, there are a lot, but putting the mids on 0 IMO would almost make it too fizzy/fuzzy as the mids wouldn't be balancing the highs.

What are all of your setting, and what is the damping switch set to?

The active EQ is what makes it tough for most people to dial in. We get so used to how a passive tone stack works and responds. I would heed the advice of maxing them and going from there. I would do it a bit differently by starting at 12 o'clock on each knob and going from there, boosting or cutting to get what I needed.

All that being said, I was never happy with my XXX until I put a 12AT7 in V1 and KT77's in the power section.

The active EQ is what makes it tough for most people to dial in. We get so used to how a passive tone stack works and responds. I would heed the advice of maxing them and going from there. I would do it a bit differently by starting at 12 o'clock on each knob and going from there, boosting or cutting to get what I needed.

All that being said, I was never happy with my XXX until I put a 12AT7 in V1 and KT77's in the power section.

How did doing this effect how your xxx sounded?

Wolfeman said:

I always start at twelve. But with the xxx I had to go with Max eq and removing what I didn't like, only then did I arrive at a sound that I could use.

But I think that you should always begin at twelve. It's a good way to get a general feel for the amp. The xxx is just an exception :)

I also had to cut mids to get a quite decent sound.
I don't know if I showed this:

Last edited by a moderator:
My XXX must be broken then as 0.5-1 on the gain even with a TS is way way way too low, I need it set to at least 9 o clock before it's usable.

lacks balls imo.. cant really put my fingers on, but my guess would be low-mids and low end?

I think it sounds good man. I suppose you could say that it lacks thickness but to be honest that could just be down to the bass guitar needing to come up. Plus the fact that everyone on here seems to be used to hearing 6505's all the time which are quite a bit thicker sounding than the XXX.