Trying out some new shit - 25 second clip inside

Backe

Space Cowboy
Mar 7, 2010
Borlänge, Sweden
UPDATE: HAD to try doing a foundation-style mix too and kinda blend the two together just for the sake of it. Kick 10, POD Farm, TACT lol, Snare 2A and 3A and the Avatar Toms

**NEW**
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10612702/instrumental_test_foundationesque3.mp3

Tried a more scandinavian/organic approach for this (a la Studio Fredman/Studio Abyss).

*OLD*
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10612702/instrumental_test.mp3

Slate Kick 7 blended with MF kick, Snare 8&10 blended with MF snare, DW Collector Series toms processed with only GClip haha, some Fredman impulses, Waves GTR Amp for bass, used Waves MaxxBass on the masterbus and on the bass track, which is a pitch shifted guitar. Drop B tuning, and I tuned my guitar once lol. Think the mp3 compression fucked it over pretty hard though.

Also tried the Logical Presets in cubase for drum programming! I strongly recommend it. I made two presets, one called Humanize Cymbals and one called Humanize Shells. I hotkeyed them to shift+S for shells and shift+A for cymbals. Inserted everything at velocity 127, then for the Shells i set it to change the note position to a random value from it's original position between -5 and 5, and the velocity to be randomized between 120 and 127, for the cymbals i did the same thing except i set -30 to 30 for position and 110-127 for velocity. Just hammered the notes in, selected the cymbals and pressed shift+A, then the shells and pressed shift+S. Works wonders!

I'm mixing some pretty skilled guys from a nearby town so I thought I'd try something new rather than the sturgis sound everybody else is asking for these days, cause these guys have probably never even heard of ol' joey. Tell me what you think!

From what you described i was expecting a very bad sounding mix honestly, Blew my mind. Great job on this! i'll be looking for a full song!

hey man sounds great. Drums sound really good. I'd add a little 4.5k to the toms to brighten them up a bit and the guitar sounds slightly grainy, but that's just being picky

just did a 400hz cut and put GClip on them, haha. but you're right, the MF toms are notoriously dull and you have to boost them a tad. I prefer the Avatar toms though, even over the slate stuff.