Trying to achieve Deftones Diamond Eyes sound...

deely

Dec 9, 2009
Hi guys!

I was playing with the Risk song and trying to achieve similar tone to the original... Unfortunately couldn't get as much high tones on the snare and the guitars are more MID than LOW tones, but I guess the amp and pickups are my limitation here...
Anyway, I will try to improve mix more, but maybe you have some suggestions what I could do with it? Maybe you know ampsims and cabs that will fit more here? I used Marshal ampsim from Guitar Rig and Marshal cab with Neumann U87 mic.

For now no electronics and just the intro:

Here's quick link to the original:

Last edited by a moderator:
i tried to achieve the diamond eyes sound a year ago oor so and had to realize there is no way you can get carpenters tone with ampsims. your tone sticks out, carpenters is "in the mix". id get a marshall and 75 cabinet miced with sm7 and u 47 -> thats their basic setup. if you dont have access to a real amp there is no way to get close to this sound.
eq wise they emphasized the low end and high end quit a bit. so a "smile" eq setting will help your sound to at least fit the mix better. hope that helps!

Thanks, probably you're right. My EQ settings look like that already, actually there's not so much to cut anymore in the mid range, because the guitar will disappear :)
Anyway, thanks for the info.