two new mixes of instrumental metal song (fretless bass content)-feedback appreciated

Santuzzo

Jan 19, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I just made two new mixes: re-recorded the rhythm guitars (hoping to get them a bit tighter), I also changed some of the drum and bass programming.
Here are two versions, one has a fretless bass on it the other one a regular fretted bass:

Which one sounds better?
And how is the mix in general?

Thanks,
Lars

Last edited by a moderator:
The fret-less has more character and adds some interest but there seems to be a hole in the mix at times. The regular bass fills out the frequency range more so the mix sounds better in that regard. The mix overall sounds good in that every instrument is well defined and audible but not being an expert I find it hard to describe what could be improved upon.

The fret-less has more character and adds some interest but there seems to be a hole in the mix at times. The regular bass fills out the frequency range more so the mix sounds better in that regard. The mix overall sounds good in that every instrument is well defined and audible but not being an expert I find it hard to describe what could be improved upon.

Thank you, I appreciate your feedback!