Two questions about "The Whispers Never Written"

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
I have been listening to the new Suspyre for quite some time now and it's slowly growing on me. I am happy to discover something new with each listen. I have two questions about the song "The Whispers Never Written."

1. The intro of the song reminds me of Tool. Would you guys call yourselves fans of the band and was Tool a particular influence on this song?

2. What is that familiar classical theme that you play during the improvised jam session in the middle?

Thanks for the music!

I have been listening to the new Suspyre for quite some time now and it's slowly growing on me. I am happy to discover something new with each listen. I have two questions about the song "The Whispers Never Written."

1. The intro of the song reminds me of Tool. Would you guys call yourselves fans of the band and was Tool a particular influence on this song?

2. What is that familiar classical theme that you play during the improvised jam session in the middle?

Thanks for the music!

Thanks - I am glad you are listening! Here are my answers to your questions:

1. Tool has never been an influence on me personally; I am actually very indifferent with their music. I know some people rave about the band, but I never owned an album of theirs or really ever gave them the chance. For the few songs I've heard, I remember the drummer being pretty awesome and there being some nifty syncopation, but a lot of it blended into all that other "nu-metal" stuff from the 90s. I like music with rich, full harmonies, so bands with just one guitar and bass don't really make it to the top of my list. Any Tool influence in this song is just a coincidence, and actually makes me want to hear more of their stuff!

2. The middle section actually wasn't an improvised jam session; every note in this song was written out. The quote you're hearing is "In the Hall of the Mountain King," composed by Edvard Grieg for Henry Ibsen's play Peer Gynt. While I was composing that section, one of the themes reminded me of this ditty, so I decided to just go for it and use a direct quotation with just a different arrangement. I like doing that; I did the same thing with Beethoven's 5th Symphony at the end of "Blood and Passion".

I am a huge fan of older Tool and I love Maynard's voice. I think their newer albums are very good too, but I feel like it gets a bit too artsy at times. I guess it's not fair for me to say that since I am in a band that some people have said thinks they are smarter than they really are...

Maynard is one of a kind and I've always liked that about him. I have listened to everything from country to death metal and I like to think that everything I've ever enjoyed is an influence on me.