Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Ty Tabor – Safety
Metalblade 2002
By Russell Garwood

Kings X guitarist Ty Tabor recently released this, his sophomore solo album, through Metalblade. Having toured with Pearl Jam and AC/DC, and collaborated with Stanley Clark, Billy Sheehan, Dream Theater’s John Myung, Deixie Dreg’s Rod Morgenstein and legendary drummer Greg Bissonette, Ty has an impressive reputation which he lives up to with “Safety”. The music is generally downcast, poignant rock – bringing to mind The Beatles, John Lennon’s solo work and other pop of that era, while some of the guitar solos remind me of Niel Schon. There are more metal-influenced tracks, however, and some songs forgo the depressing lyrics with some dark humour (see:“Funeral”).

The guitars, as you would expect, are impressive – ranging from acoustic, through shimmering clean tones, to a distorted sound, always placed for optimum impact. The drums (live and programmed) support the music well, being memorable and straightforward. The bass is less prominent but well performed, and Ty’s catchy, multiple vocal melodies stretch for miles and suit the honest tone of the lyrics to perfection.

“Safety” is also more revealing than his work with any other bands and the lyrics have a welcome sincerity and conviction, for example “All my days… all my life/I have questioned wrong and right/Anything that I see/Makes me face reality” (“Tulip (Your Eyes)”). Standouts are hard to pick due to the consistent high quality of the songs on this album, but my favourites include opener “Tulip (Your Eyes)” for the unforgettable chorus, “Missing Love” for the dreamy melancholic feel, the more upbeat “Funeral”, and “True Love” which has a excellent multiple vocal lines. Ty’s production too, is excellent, enhancing the feeling present in all the songs. By no means metal, “Safety” will appeal to all those who love top class, well-written rock and roll or sixties pop or just melancholy, thoughtful and beautiful music. A classic..